VIDEO: Our favorite #GoldenGlobes moments
MANILA, Philippines - The 70th Golden Globes came and went on January 13, 8pm (January 14, 9am Manila time), and yet social media (and even traditional media in the US) is still abuzz about it.
Hosted by "Saturday Night Live" alumnae Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, most parts of the program generated laughs, while some raised eyebrows.
#GoldenGlobes trended on Twitter, and here's our take on some reasons why:
1. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's opening banter
Audiences around the world were not disappointed that the two ladies took off where British comedian Rickay Gervais left off in 2012. Their celebrity impersonations here and there (mostly during nominee announcements where they posed as some nominees) and funny comments (to former President Bill Clinton and Girls's Lena Dunham, for example) drew laughs.
One particular comment that struck us was from Tina Fey: "You know what, Taylor Swift, you stay away from Michael J. Fox's son." Funny or not, she definitely hit a chord.
2. Kristen Wiig and Will Ferrell's Best Actress award presentation
Wiig ("Bridesmaids") and Ferrell ("Stranger Than Fiction") are also "Saturday Night Live" alumni. The two showcased their impromptu comedic prowess when presenting the nominees for Best Actress, and botching the movies' plots — in a funny way, of course.
The two were so funny that people wondered if their skit was rehearsed or not. Our take? It was not rehearsed. Wiig and Ferrell are really just amazingly funny (In fact, people loved their skit so much that there is now talk for the two to host the Golden Globes in 2014!).
3. Adele's acceptance speech for the James Bond theme "Skyfall"
The theme that Adele co-wrote was one of the much-anticipated movie themes of 2012, not just because of the Daniel Craig "James Bond" starrer, but also because 2012 was 007's 50th year anniversary.
The film "Skyfall" was relased in October, the month that the British superstar gave birth to her first child. The Golden Globes was her first public appearance since giving birth, and, well, she looked great!
Note: Catch the look that Taylor Swift gives Adele while the latter gives her acceptance speech. People are saying that it's a "stink eye." Do you agree? (After Tina Fey's jab and her loss to Adele, we guess it was not Swift's night!)
4. Amy Poehler sitting on George Clooney's lap (see 1:38)
The moment lasted for a mere 5 seconds but people agree that it was one of their favorite moments of the night.
And the fact that actor and "Argo" producer George Clooney gamely played with Poehler made fans love it even more.
5. Jodie Foster's Lifetime Achievement Award acceptance speech
"Ironman" Robert Downey Jr. presented the Cecile B. de Mille award to Foster, who has been acting since she was 3 years old. People now call it Foster's "coming out" speech; many were touched, specially by her comments about parenting, love, and having a modern family.
Indie Wire's Alonso Duralde disagrees, saying he was not "moved" or "impressed" by Foster's "bravery."
What was your favorite Golden Globes moment? Tell us by posting your comment below, or tweet us @rapplerdotcom using the hashtag #GoldenGlobes. - Rappler.com
You may also want to read:
- VIDEO: Golden Globes red carpet
- Awards Season: Ladies and gentlemen, place your bets
- Live Blog: The 70th Golden Globes
- The fans have spoken: People's Choice Awards 2013
- Ben Affleck wins best director after his Oscar nomination snub
- Spielberg's 'Lincoln' eyes Golden Globes glory
- 'Les Mis', 'Argo', 'Homeland' top Golden Globes winners
- Hollywood steps out for pre-Oscars Golden Globes awards
- 70th Golden Globe nominees announced
- Drama, humor, coming out: The Golden Globes in quotes
- Jodie Foster 'comes out' in Golden Globes speech
- PHOTOS: #GoldenGlobes fashion Instagrams