PETA offers summer theater courses for kids, teens
MANILA, Philippines - Looking for summer activities for your kids? Here's one idea. Why not get them into theater arts?
The Philippine Educational Theater Association (PETA) has been conducting its annual summer workshops for several years now and it is doing it again in April and May 2012. The workshops will be held at The PETA Theater Center, the theater group's home in New Manila, Quezon City.
The theater arts classes, according to an announcement PETA emailed on Tuesday, March 6, are a mix of acting classes with voice and speech, movement, dance, writing, and improvisation modules.
The workshop encourages participants to use their imagination, explore the world of live performance and expand their creative potential.
The announcement says workshop techniques are taught from a student-centered point of view. The emphasis is on the process of the work and the importance of the collaboration, not competition.
The workshop programs are tailored to every age group.
- Children's Theater 1 & 2: expose children from 6-12 to short-story writing, poetry, movement and dance, visual arts, music and drama improvisation.
- Teen Theater & Teen Theater Production: cover the more enthusiastic temperament of teenagers. Here, teens learn a mix of creative writing, creative body movements and dance, visual arts, creative drama, creative sounds and music, new media and improvisational theater during the workshops. They also mount an original recital piece to express their personal and social concerns, an activity that helps develop self-confidence and a sense of accomplishment.
There are also courses available for young adults 17 and above. These include:
- Theater Arts : which gives participants the chance to learn the basics in theater history, theater appreciation, aesthetics and criticism and improvisational theater production.
- Basic Acting, which involves dialogues with respected theater artists and acting exercises the will enhance one's natural skills;
- Creative Musical Theater which offers lessons on composition, voice, performance and a variety of music explorations; and
- Creative Dance Theater which delves deeper into body movements as one's medium of artistic expressions and takes a closer looks to using the best way possible in order to tell a story.
To register for the above courses, contact PETA Marketing and Public Relations Office at Tel. No. 725-6244, 410-0821 or 0906-2115003, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on the links below for more.