Duterte gov't releases two anti-drug advertisements
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Malacañang's communications office released two government advertisements about the consequences of drug addiction on Friday, September 2.
Both ads, around two minutes and 30 seconds long, were directed free of charge by award-winning filmmaker Brillante Mendoza.
The ads, released by the Presidential Communications Office, tell a story consistent with President Rodrigo Duterte's messaging that drug addiction destroys the younger generation of Filipinos and rips apart families.
“The advertisements will target the Filipino families who might be dealing with problems caused by drug abuse. All hope is not lost; the time to end illegal drug-dependence is now,” Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said in a press statement.
They tell the story of a father who is a drug user and an overseas Filipino worker whose son is a drug addict.
The ads have been endorsed by the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board to radio and television stations. The ads are likely to air between 9 pm to 6 am.
The ads will also be shown in cinemas when the movie being screened is one with an R-13 rating.
Andanar said the ads are part of the Duterte administration's campaign against illegal drugs.
Duterte has frequently said that his drug war is necessary in order to "protect the next generation" and preserve the family unit.
Mendoza, who also directed Duterte's first State of the Nation Address in July, had previously said he was coming up with informational videos for the government. – Rappler.com