Media barred from live coverage of Duterte's events on Sept 12
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Media were not allowed to air live any of President Rodrigo Duterte’s events on Monday, September 12, according to instructions by the Presidential Appointments office.
“For today’s activities, no live [coverage] as advised,” Palace reporters were told by Communications Assistant Secretary Queenie Rodulfo.
The instructions were communicated to reporters while Duterte’s first event of the day was ongoing. He was then attending the oath-taking of new government appointees.
In the middle of the President’s speech, staff of the Media Accreditation and Relations Office (MARO) went around telling reporters they may record the speech but not air it live. Reporters were also not allowed to tweet details of the event live.
Due to the late instructions, some reporters were still able to send some tweets out.
A radio station was also able to air the speech live.
The day before the event, reporters were told by Malacañang that the event was open for media coverage.
In the advisory, there were no instructions limiting the coverage. Without such instructions, media assume they are allowed to live tweet or air the event live on television, radio, or on social media platforms, for instance, Facebook Live.
According to MARO staff, the instructions for limiting media coverage came from the Presidential Appointments office. As of posting, Assistant Secretary Lisette Marquez, head of the office, is yet to respond to Rappler’s questions on the matter.
But Rodulfo assured media, “this is not the protocol for all future PRRD [President Rodrigo Roa Duterte] events.”
Duterte is set to have another event supposedly “open to media” at 6:30 pm on Monday. This event is the awarding ceremonies of the 2016 Metrobank Foundation Outstanding Filipinos.
As of updating, Malacañang has allowed media to air the event live. Media were told of the lifting of the restrictions minutes before the arrival of President Duterte.
The restrictions on media come after President Duterte said he is not harboring anger at journalists and even said it is their “sworn duty” to ask him questions.
Previously, Duterte had claimed media had misinterpreted his rant against US President Barack Obama, making it appear he had called him a “son of a whore” during a speech.
Duterte insists he was not referring to the US president when he uttered the curse word. – Rappler.com