'Pablo:' No casualties so far in Davao Oriental
MANILA, Philippines - Five hours after typhoon "Pablo" made a landfall in Davao Oriental, there were no casualties so far in the province, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Tuesday, December 4.
NDRRMC executive director Undersecretary Benito Ramos said the government can achieve zero casualties as long as proper coordination is made among government agencies, disaster officials and residents.
Ramos renewed his appeal to residents to listen to their respective officials on evacuation calls and heed the ban on fishing and small-scale mining.
Over 8,000 families have already been evacuated as of the latest NDRRMC report.
At least 1,200 people, mostly in Cagayan de Oro and Iligan cities, died during "Sendong's" onslaught last December 2011. The weather bureau earlier said that "Pablo" was stronger than "Sendong."
For live updates on "Pablo," follow our live blog here. - Rappler.com