Binay supports taking China to court
MANILA, Philippines - Vice President Jejomar Binay supports President Benigno Aquino III's to take China to court over a territorial dispute in the West Philippine Sea and called for a "peaceful resolution" of the case.
“The filing of the case before the UN tribunal is an expression of our desire to resolve the dispute with China within the framework of international law,” the Vice President said in a statement on Wednesday, January 23.
The government announced on Tuesday that it will elevate the row on the South China Sea (West Philippine Sea) with China to the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS).
The Philippines will ask the tribunal to declare China's claims as "invalid" and that the said maritime areas should follow the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) signed by both countries.
Binay noted he supports Aquino's commitment "to protect our sovereignty" and hoped China will recognize the jurisdiction of the ITLOS based on UNCLOS.
“A peaceful resolution, under the purview of international law, would be in the best interest of both countries and the ASEAN region” but it should not define bilateral relations with China in the future, he said.
The Vice President asked in December for China to clarify its intention to board foreign vessels "intruding" in areas claimed by Beijing in the South China Sea.
So far no Filipino ship has been intercepted since the new rules took effect on January 1. - Rappler.com