This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.
Welcome to Rappler. Through cutting-edge stories, conversations, and collaboration, we aim to speak truth to power and build communities of action for a better world.
The Rappler community is both online and on the ground. Through Move.PH, our community engagement and citizen journalism arm, we make it a point to link up with our networks online as well as with advocacy groups, schools, and various sectors in the Philippines and beyond.
When you sign up with Rappler, you may be asked to supply us with information that we can use to contact you. Rest assured that any personal information you share with Rappler stays with us, unless we ask for your consent to share it – and you allow us to.
Data collected, purpose, processing
Sharing information concerning yourself via your Rappler profile helps us better serve your needs and provide you the content you want or need to see.
To read stories on the sites, you need not give us any personal information. However, you will be asked to register so we can serve you better. As a registered user, you can have access to Rappler’s premium content, comment on stories, take part in surveys, attend events, join movements, contribute content through partner sites, or participate in community chatrooms.
Below are the types of user data we collect from website users:
- Anonymous cookie-based data. We use tracking methods to prevent site abuse, manage advertising, ensure optimum site performance, deliver personalized experiences, as well as to track inputs via the Mood meter, send notifications, and other user-engagement mechanisms. This may involve depositing “cookies” on your computer. Data gathered through cookies are anonymized and consent-based. Data collected through this process include device IDs, logs of times you visited our site, content accessed, and other user activity. Please refer to our Cookies Policy for more information on the various types of cookies we use and users instructions on how to remove them.
- Registered user data. To access certain services and participate in community activities such as the commenting feature, exclusive content, newsletters, and online events, a user may be asked to log in/sign in using their preferred social network or use an email to create a user account. Registered users are only requested to provide the following information: email address, Name, City, Country.
If you use your Facebook, Twitter / X, Google or Apple accounts on these networks to log on to our system, we record the First Name, Last Name and Username you registered on these systems as well as the authentication token, in accordance with the privacy policies of these sites and services. (For more details on how we use registered user data, please refer to this article: Why should you register as a user on Rappler?)
- Online survey data. We occasionally run surveys on the Rappler site in behalf of partners. Surveys are consent-based. Further, only summaries and findings from the survey are ever shared to third parties, never personally identifiable information.
- Community Relations Management System. Rappler uses third party digital services to implement online events and webinars; manage and provide access to volunteering, internship, and fellowship opportunities, as well as work with different partner organizations in various community-engagement projects. Users who wish to avail of these services may be asked to provide additional data points that would help Rappler’s civic engagement team effectively work with them in relation to these initiatives. These data points include: City/Municipality, Province, School/Organization/Affiliation, Occupation, Course, Interests.
To mitigate risks in relation to its paid membership program, Rappler does not store credit card payment data in its systems. Instead, it uses established third party payment facilities in order to receive payment for members of its premium membership program. These services have their own privacy policies, security infrastructure and mechanisms for obtaining consent.
- Community engagement data. Mindful of our users’ privacy, we limit data collection only to information that our platform needs in order to perform a specific function. When a user participates in our comment sections, community chatrooms, community games, and other community and partner engagement services, the system may collect relevant data necessary to performing a specific service or function. These data may include text, images, location, and other data associated with each specific user submission. Users who wish to submit images will need to give our app access to the image gallery or files within their device. Please be aware that photos are shared with a third party AI service for moderation purposes.
We will not display identifiable user data on the site without the user’s consent. To minimize privacy risks, we give users the option not to use full names when posting comments or when participating in community chats. However, to encourage intelligent conversation over relevant issues, we encourage our readers to identify themselves.
Users are advised that on default, comments, messages, and other user generated contributions submitted to the website are public and that they are responsible for the content that they submit. Participation in community engagement mechanisms is subject to our Community Guidelines.
As personal information controller, Rappler complies with Republic Act No. 10173, also known as the Data Privacy Act of 2012 (DPA), which aims to protect personal data in information and communications systems both in the government and the private sector. In addition, given that Rappler has a global audience, it also seeks to be compliant with data protection laws in countries where our users are based.
Data sharing, protection, security
Rappler avails of third party digital providers in order to track website analytics, as well as to manage and process data used to provide various services on site. Such arrangements are always bound by confidentiality and data protection agreements, as well as by the privacy policies of these services.
- From time to time, we may share aggregated data concerning traffic and user engagement metrics to third parties, such as advertisers and analysts. Rest assured, however, that such data will only reflect demographics and not personally identifiable information.
- In order to protect and safeguard your privacy, we employ stringent standards in data management and security. For instance, in sending data between a web browser and a website, Rappler’s website uses hypertext transfer protocol secure (HTTPS), a version of HTTP which uses encryption to increase security of data transfer.
You should be aware that transmission of data over the Internet, particularly via public computers, is never 100% secure. You are responsible for keeping your personal password and user credentials.
Requests to access, correct, delete
If you wish to access, correct, limit or update the Personal Information you have submitted to us through any of our programs, or to make any inquiries or complaints about the processing of such information or otherwise exercise your rights as a data subject, please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach to your email a scanned copy of any government-issued identification card or, if the request is made by an authorized representative, proof of authorization of the representative (e.g., a power of attorney or its equivalent). This ensures that we act upon legitimate requests and enables us to remain vigilant in protecting your rights as a data subject.
Data collected by our platform about you and subscriptions can be updated or deleted by accessing your profile page.
For any questions or concerns about Rappler’s privacy statement, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Other key resources: