12 tips for a light and active summer vacation
MANILA, Philippines – Tickets are booked, bags are packed, and the vacation responder has been turned on. Finally, you’re taking a vacation!
Before you hop on that plane, don’t forget to prepare your body, too. Maintaining a healthy body during the summer isn’t just about looking sexy: it’s also about feeling good, light, and active.
Go on and have fun, but make sure to pay attention to what your body needs throughout the trip. Stay stress-free and guilt-free with these simple reminders:
Load up on fiber
Make sure to get enough fiber throughout the summer. Aside from regulating your digestion, fiber also helps your body curb cravings, absorb good nutrients better, and eliminate cholesterol and toxins. Enough fiber, coupled with a bit of exercise, can ensure that you feel lighter and energetic all the time. You’ll be in a better mood to enjoy your favorite summer activities. You’ll feel less guilty when you indulge on a well-running stomach.
- Prepare your body as early as possible! Up our fiber intake to clean up your system even before vacation season hits.
- Bring along an easy-to-drink fiber supplement. One glass can help you meet your minimum daily fiber requirement. It can be the healthy step that your summer diet needs. Take one in the morning or before going to bed.
- Have as many fiber-rich fruits and vegetables as possible. Pack them for snacks and eat them before meals.
“I’m on vacation to REST,” you might say. But, your body needs regular physical activity to stave off sickness and lethargy. You’ll also need to work extra-hard to burn up that buffet binge from the night before. Try to squeeze in a little exercise here and there.
- Avoid prolonged sitting, especially after heavy meals. Take a walk after your buffets.
- Find time to do exercises in the morning, such as stretching or simple aerobics. Downloading a workout app could help.
- Whenever possible, take the stairs or walk. It’s the best excuse to get more sightseeing and window-shopping done!
Drink, drink, drink!
Your body needs about 2-3 liters of fluids everyday. Proper hydration helps manage your food intake (you feel fuller faster) and regulate your digestion. Ironically, most people on vacation forget to stay hydrated on the inside, even as they spend hours submerged in water!
- Pack a big water bottle for long road trips or plan rides. Keep it empty at the airport, and fill it up with water after you pass check-in security.
- If you’ll be tossing back margaritas, always remember to drink 1 glass of water for every glass of alcohol that you’ll consume.
- If clean drinking water will be inaccessible, pack your own portable UV water filter.
Constipation and diarrhea are common travel woes. Save yourself from bathroom dilemmas by knowing your body and preparing for its quirks.
- If you’re used to going to the bathroom at a certain time of the day, try to stick to that schedule. Alternatively, spend a few days before your trip to “train” yourself to go at a more convenient time, such as early morning or late evening.
- Pack wipes, books, and magazines so you can feel “at home” in any toilet.
- Bring laxatives or diarrhea medicine – but use them sparingly and only when utterly necessary.
Got your own tried-and-tested healthy vacation hacks? Share them with us below! – Rappler.com
Be summer-ready with Metamucil and have a less-guilt food trip during your planned vacations!