Marikina's mega shoe sale starts October 26
This is a press release from the Public Information Office Marikina City
MANILA, Philippines – The city government of Marikina through the Sapatos Festival 2015 Committee is inviting the public to join in the celebration of the annual shoe festival.
The festival’s launch will be held on Monday, October 26 at 8 am during the program of the weekly flag-raising ceremony set at the Plaza de los Alcaldez in front of the Marikina City Hall.
This annual festivity features a mega sale of shoes and leather products at the Freedom Park from October 26 to December 30 based on the following schedule: 8 am to 6 pm on Mondays to Thursdays; 8 am to 10 pm on Fridays and Saturdays; and 8 am to 7 pm on Sundays.
Aside from the mega shoe sale, colorful and exciting activities will also be held such as the following:
- Feast of Saint Crispin (patron of leather workers) on October 25, 5 pm at the Our Lady of the Abandoned Church
- Evolution of Shoes (an exhibit) on October 26 to December 30, 8 am to 5 pm at the City Hall Quadrangle
- Philippine Footwear Leather Goods Trade Show on November 6 to 9, 8 am to 5 pm at the 4/F of the Legislative Building
- Tour de Takong (stiletto race) on November 14, 3 pm at the Freedom Park
- Danza de Takong (stiletto dance contest) on November 27 to 28 (eliminations) and December 12 (finals), 6 pm at the Freedom Park
- Time Capsule on December 4, 7 am at the Sentrong Pangkultura (Kapitan Moy); and Grand Parade, Festival Queen, Street Dance Competition and Float Parade on December 5, 3 pm at the Marikina Sports Center.
Likewise, part of the ten-week celebration is the Weekend Fair at the Freedom Park where different activities will also be held such as zumba exercises, food fair, cooking demos, free film showings, and variety shows.
“Sapatos Festival is our way of promoting our world-class products as well as our way of honoring the ingenuity and craftsmanship of our shoemakers. Please come and patronize our very own local products and help our fellow Filipinos make a living while contributing to our local economy,” Mayor Del De Guzman said.
To better systematize the celebration of the Sapatos Festival, the City Council recently passed Ordinance No. 55, Series of 2015 (otherwise known as an ordinance institutionalizing the conduct of Sapatos Festival every year in Marikina City). – Rappler.com