August 14 assembly vs Marcos burial: What to expect
MANILA, Philippines – A coalition of various groups from different sectors and political parties will hold a protest rally against the burial of the late President Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (Heroes’ Cemetery).
The “Citizens’ Assembly” Facebook Page, which spearheads the activity has invited more than 30,000 people to the "peaceful protest."
As of Friday, August 12, over 4,000 people said they are going, while 3,000 are interested to participate.
If you are interested in participating, here are the things you need to know:
PURPOSE: Urge President Rodrigo Duterte to withdraw his decision allowing a hero’s burial for dictator Marcos
DATE: Sunday, August 14
TIME: 8 am to 12 noon
VENUE: Lapu-Lapu Monument in Luneta (behind Rizal’s statue)
- Former Senator Wigberto Tañada, martial law survivor
- Former Human Rights Commission chairperson Etta Rosales, martial law survivor
- Poet Aida Santos, martial law survivor
- Senator Francis Pangilinan
- Former Akbayan Representative Walden Bello
- Dr Rico Jose, historian, will speak about Marcos’ fake medals
- Economics professor Winnie Monsod
- Artist Toym Imao, on behalf of the families of those interred at the Libingan ng mga Bayani
- Bayang Barrios
- Cooky Chua
- Chickoy Pura
- Danny Fabella & Musikang Bayan
- Jake Lanting
ATTIRE: Wear white
PARKING: Participants are advised to park along TM Kalaw Avenue. Parking fees may apply
REMINDER: Bring umbrellas since rainfall is expected. Organizers said they are pushing through with the event, rain or shine.