Scholarships at United World Colleges
Two full scholarships for graduating high school students opens at United World Colleges (UWC) in Hong Kong and the Netherlands, the UWC National Committee of the Philippines announced.
The 2013 UWC Scholarship Program will give selected students the opportunity to finish a two-year International Baccalaureate (IB) programme to UWC Li Po Chun and UWC Maastricht. Priority is given to students with strong potential and commitment to community development.
- Must be a Filipino citizen
- Attending a Philippine accredited school (must submit proof for schools outside the Philippines)
- High school graduate of the application year (i.e. March 2012 graduate for SY 2012-2014 scholarship)Aged 16 to 18 years-old by August of selection year
- Ranked in the top ten percent of their graduating class (with proof of academic excellence i.e. grades of 92% or higher in ALL courses and activities)
Stage 1: Application
- March 8, 2013 - Last day for submission of completed applications
- March 16, 2013 - Sending out invitations for interviews.
- April 13, 2013 - Interviews of shortlisted candidates/ Announcement of final nominees
- April 20, 2013 - Confirmation and acceptance of offers by applicants, sending of nominations to schools
- May 2013 - Confirmation and acceptance of nominees by UWCs
- June to August 2013 - UWC Philippines Reunion/ Preparation for departure
- September 2013 - Departure to UWCs
UWC was founded in 1962 with the vision of bringing together young people whose experience was of the political conflict of the cold war era, offering an educational experience based on shared learning, collaboration and understanding so that that the students would act as champions of peace. It makes education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future.
The UWC Philippine National Committee is a group of volunteers in charge of promoting UWC in The Philippines, including the selection of UWC scholarships. Since its inception, UWC Philippines has sent close to 70 Filipino students to UWCs in Canada, Costa Rica, Hong Kong, Italy, the Netherlands, Venezuela, Swaziland, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
For more information on UWC, please visit their website. For more information on UWC Philippine National Committee you may also visit their website and follow them on Facebook.
Source: UWC Philippines press release
Graduation hats image by Shutterstock.