38th National Book Awards opens nominations
Below is a press release from the organizers.
The National Book Development Board (NBDB) and the Manila Critics Circle (MCC) are mounting the 38th cycle of the National Book Awards this year.
All NBDB-registered publishers and self-published authors are welcome to submit their nominations. Books in Filipino or English published in 2018 are eligible for the award.
As in previous years, a featured language is included for nominated titles in the Literary Division. This year, books published in Maguindanaon within the last 3 calendar years (2016-2018) will be accepted for this year’s awards.
Nominations for the Literary Division shall include entries on Fiction (Novels and Short Stories), Non-Fiction Prose, Essays, Anthology, Literary Criticism/Literary History, Poetry, Graphic Literature, and Translation categories in the following languages: English, Filipino, and Maguindanaon.
Nominations for the Non-Literary Division shall include Art, Professions, Social Sciences, History, Journalism, Humor, Sports and Lifestyle, Food, and Science categories.
Nominations are also open for the Language Studies category. E-books may be nominated in any category except Design.
The winner of each category will receive a cash prize of Fifteen Thousand Pesos (P15,000.00), which will be awarded to the author, editor, translator, or book designer.
Special awards such as the Alfonso T. Ongpin Prize, Cirilo F. Bautista Prize, Elfren S. Cruz Prize, Gerardo P. Cabochan Prize, John C. Kaw Prize, Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino Prize, Pablo A. Tan Prize, Philippine Literary Arts Council Prize, and Victorio C. Valledor Prize, will also be given to the winners of the National Book Awards.
Deadline for submissions is July 22, 2019 (Monday), 5:00 pm. Nominations mailed from outside Metro Manila will be accepted if postmarked July 22, 2019.
Steps in nomination:
1. Accomplish a letter of nomination and nomination form and email with a high-res version of the cover of each nominated book (TIFF) to firstname.lastname@example.org (cc: email@example.com) with the subject title “Submission - The 38th National Book Awards (Name of Publisher)."
2. Submit one (1) soft copy of the nomination form (excel file) and three (3) hard copies of the nomination form with the documents below.
3. As supporting document, attach one (1) copy of evidence of agreement by the author. This can be a conforme signed by the author* or a notarized warranty/affidavit by a responsible officer of the publishing house stating that permission from the author* whose work is nominated has been obtained.
*For titles nominated for the Anthology category, replace “author” with “editor.”
*For titles nominated for the Translation category, replace “author” with “translator.”
4. Attach a copy of NBDB Certificate of Registration.
5. Attach document/s proving the assignment of an ISBN to the publisher for the nominated book.
6. Provide seven (7) copies of each book.
7. Submit all requirements and hard copies to:
The Office of the Executive Director
c/o The Registration, Accreditation, and Incentives Division
National Book Development Board
4th Floor, Dorm-E Building
Department of Education Complex Meralco Avenue, Pasig City 1605
Subject: Submission - The 38th National Book Awards (Name of Publisher)
For complete information, the 2019 38th NBA Nomination/Selection Criteria can be downloaded from this link.