MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Science High School (PSHS) System is now accepting applications for its National Competitive Examination (NCE).
The PSHS System, an agency of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), offers scholarships to students who would like to study an advanced science and technology-based curriculum in preparation for science careers in the future.
All PSHS students enjoy free tuition, free use of textbooks, a monthly stipend, and additional allowances for students from low income groups.
Eligible to apply to the PSHS are graduating elementary pupils from schools duly recognized by the Department of Education who meet the criteria set by the PSHS:
- Belonging to the upper 10% of the graduating class, or with a final grade of 85% or higher in science and math, and a minimum final grade of 80% in all other subjects
- A Filipino citizen with no pending application as immigrant to any foreign country
- Born on or after June 1, 1998
- In good health and fit to undergo a rigorous academic program
- Of good conduct and behavior
- Has not yet taken the PSHS NCE previously
The NCE, which will be the basis in the selection of qualifiers, will be conducted on September 29, 2012, in testing centers throughout the country. The exam covers Scientific Ability, Quantitative Ability, Abstract Reasoning, and Verbal Aptitude.
- Main Campus, Quezon City
- Ilocos Region Campus, San Ildefonso, Ilocos Sur
- Cagayan Valley Campus, Bayombong, Nueva Vizcaya
- Cordillera Administrative Region Campus, Baguio City
- Central Luzon Campus, Clark, Pampanga
- Bicol Region Campus, Goa, Camarines Sur
- Western Visayas Campus, Iloilo City
- Central Visayas Campus, Argao, Cebu
- Eastern Visayas Campus, Palo, Leyte
- Central Mindanao Campus, Balo-i, Lanao del Norte
- Southern Mindanao Campus, Davao City
You can also get and submit application forms at DOST regional offices and provincial science and technology centers nationwide.
Deadline of application is on July 13, 2012. – Rappler.com