'Powerhouse' business delegation to visit PH
MANILA, Philippines - A "powerhouse" delegation, including top business executives from Citigroup, Chevron, Coca Cola, General Electric, JP Morgan Chase and Procter & Gamble, are expected to visit Manila from January 23 to 25 to scout for investment and trade opportunities in the Philippines.
The US-Philippines Society has arranged for the visit, according to a statement of the Philippine Embassy in Washington, D.C.
The US-Philippines Society is a non-profit organization that helps raise the Philippines' profile in the US. It is co-chaired by Philippine Long Distance Telephone (PLDT) chairman Manuel Pangilinan and former US Ambassador to the Philippines John Negroponte. The group was behind the Washington DC gala in honor of President Benigno Aquino III during his state visit in 2012
"The delegation will participate in a dynamic program aimed at strengthening ties with political and business leaders, fostering discussion of strategic issues, and promoting business and investment opportunities," said Philippine Ambassador to the US Jose L. Cuisia Jr.
Other members of the delegation include executives of Peregrine Development International, CV Starr & Co., the US Education Finance Group, McLarty & Associates, Federal Express and Spence & Co.
They are expected to do the following during the visit:
Call on President Aquino and Supreme Court Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno
- Call on President Aquino and key Cabinet secretaries, and Supreme Court Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno. These meetings are designed to update the delegates with the government’s latest initiatives in areas ranging from economic policy and governance to judicial reforms.
- Participate in a Policy Forum on January 24 to discuss outlook for 2013, as well as the strategic environment in the region and beyond. The forum will be attended by Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, Finance Secretary Cesar Purisima and Trade Secretary Gregory Domingo, as well as Negroponte and two other former ambassadors to Manila, Thomas Hubbard and Richard Murphy.
- Meet with US Ambassador Harry Thomas Jr.
- Join a Business Dialogue with local business leaders organized by the Makati Business Club. There will be briefings on key sectors of the Philippine economy and promote interaction and exploration of investment and trade opportunities between representatives of US and Philippine businesses.
- Visit the Global Gateway Logistics City at the Clark Freeport in Pampanga on January 25, the Center for International Trade Expositions and Missions of the Department of Trade and Industry and a briefing at the Asian Institute of Management for discussions on business and good governance.