BIR files tax cases vs. Talk 'N Text stars
MANILA, Philippines - The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) has filed tax cases against professional basketball players Jim Olmedo Alapag and Jared Ryan Dillinger of Smart Communications' Talk ‘N Text TropangTexters team.
In a statement on Friday, March 14, BIR said it has filed the cases against the sports stars at the Department of Justice as part of its name-and-shame campaign against tax evaders.
Based on BIR's investigation, the cases against the sports personalities are as follows:
Case vs. Jim Olmedo Alapag:
- The BIR said he failed to file his income tax returns for taxable years 2007 to 2010, and his value added tax returns from 2007 to 2012
- His tax deficiency was computed at P17.86 million for the 7-year period, including surcharges
- In 2007, he earned close to P4 million from PLDT, the parent firm of Smart. In 2012, he earned P8.77 million from Smart. BIR placed his total income as a professional basketball player at P32.28 million.
Case vs. Jared Ryan Dillinger
- BIR said he failed to file his income tax returns from 2008 to 2011, his percentage tax return for 2008, and his value added tax returns from 2009 to 2012
- His tax deficiency was computed at P13.37 million, including surcharges
- In 2008, he earned P694,000 from PLDT, and P6.48 million from Smart in 2012. BIR said his income as a ballplayer has totalled P22.19 million