MANILA, Philippines – Rehabilitation works on the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 (NAIA 3) will start in November, according to Transportation secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya.
Speaking to reporters as he inspected ports and bus terminals on Thursday, October 31, Abaya said the government already paid Japanese contractor Takenaka Corporation 20% of the total cost of the rehab project.
“We’ve made our initial downpayment, 20%. Real work will start November,” Abaya said.
The Department of Transportation and Communications early this year signed an agreement with Takenaka for the upgrade of the 182,500-square meter airport terminal.
Under the deal, Takenaka will complete “23 systems,” which include flight information display, baggage handling and reconciliation, fire alarm and protection, and passenger boarding bridges, among others.
Abaya said Takenaka so far tapped the services of sub-contractors for 14 of the 23 systems.
“Of the 23, they have contracted 14. They have sub-contractors who will do it,” the DOTC chief noted.
Abaya said the upgrade of the airport will be completed by July 2014. (READ: Aquino on NAIA 3 delays: Pls bear with me)
“They are abiding by the July 2014 deadline. I think that is a very conservative deadline,” he added.
NAIA 3 will be able to accommodate 6,000 passengers per hour or up to 33,000 passengers daily during peak season once the upgrade is completed.
The airport will also boast of 34 air bridges and 20 contact gates to accommodate 28 planes simultaneously.
The government has been keen on upgrading the airport to achieve the Aquino administration’s goal of 10 million tourist arrivals by 2016.
The government is working on decongesting NAIA Terminal 1 by transferring some of its operations to Terminal 3. – Rappler.com