Smart, Globe set up 'temporary' cell sites in Tacloban
MANILA, Philippines – Telecommunications companies Globe Telecom and Smart Communications said Sunday, November 10 they have set up cell sites in Tacloban City, which was badly hit by typhoon Yolanda (international name Haiyan), as they work on restoring network services in Visayas.
In a press release, Globe said it set up one temporary cell site near Hotel Alejandro along Paterno St. in Tacloban to serve "critical communication requirements of the local government units and agencies involved in disaster response and coordination efforts."
As of Sunday, the company said close to 20% of its cell sites in Visayas have been restored, including 26 sites from Calbayog in Samar to northern Samar.
It said 471 sites or 30% of affected sites in southern Luzon and Mindanao have been repaired.
Globe also set up free call and charging stations.
It said 3 "Libreng Tawag" stations are in Iloilo:
- OWWA Office, 3rd Floor, Robinson's Place Iloilo
- Western Visayas Cyberlink Inc., HUB Shoppers Avenue
- Globe Telecom, JM Basa St., Iloilo City
Charging stations using the generator sets in Globe cell sites are located in:
- GT Bontoc
- GT Bgy. Nahulid, Libagon
- IC Liloan
- IC Bgy. Abgao, Maasin City
- GT Bgy. Mambajao, Maasin City
- GT Bgy. Maria Clara, Maasin City
- FOBN Maasin City
- GT Macrohon
- GT Bgy. Bunga, Padre Burgos
- GT Bgy. Poblacion, Padre Burgos
- IC Bgy. Tangkaan, Padre Burgos
- IC Sogod
- GT Alicia Innove
- GT Bien Unido
- GT Buenavista
- GT Bgy. La Union, Candijay
- GT Dagohoy
- GT Bgy. Tabajan, Guindulman
- GT Bgy. Rosario, Inabanga
- GT Bgy. Alejawan, Jagna
- GT Sagbayan
- Innove Talibon
For its part, Smart also started offering "Libreng Tawag" services in Tacloban using satellite services in partnership with French non-governmental organization Telecoms Sans Frontieres.
The company put up a free call station Saturday afternoon at the police station near the Tacloban city hall.
Smart's "Libreng Tawag" services are being offered in the following areas:
- Smart Retail Store, Ormoc City, Leyte
- Tubigon Community Hospital, Bgy. Potohan, Tubigon, Bohol
- certain areas in Iloilo, Masbate and Mindoro
For free charging of mobile phones, Smart subscribers may go to:
- San Francisco municipal hall in Camotes Island, Cebu
- Smart cell sites in Roxas City, Capiz and Sta. Fe, Cebu
Smart said it has restored Smart and Sun networks services in the following areas:
- Bohol: Dimiao
- Cebu: Bantayan Island
- Iloilo: Badiangan, Bgy. Culasi in Ajuy, and the towns of Alimodian, Anilao, Banate, Barotac Nuevo, Barotac Viejo, Cabatuan, Dingle, Dumangas, Janiuay, Leganes, Maasin, Mina, Pavia, Pototan, San Miguel, Sta. Barbara, and Zarraga
- Leyte: Ormoc City and the towns of Bato, Hilongos, Hindang, Macrohon, Matalom
- all of Masbate (except for the towns of Cataingan, Mobo, Palanas and Pio V. Corpuz)
- Negros Occidental: Calatrava and San Carlos City
- Samar: Calbayog City, Catbalogan City and the towns of Calbiga, Daram, Gandara, Jiabong, Macrohon, Matuguinao, Paranas (Wright), San Jose de Buan, Santa Margarita, Tarangnan and Villareal
- Southern Leyte: Brgy. Cabulihan in Maasin City
Authorities are working on restoring communication lines in the aftermath of Yolanda. The government is having difficulties providing an accurate count of casualties and damage as relatives of residents in affected areas struggle to contact their loved ones.