P1-B rehab fund for infra damaged by Pablo
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) will release P1.06 billion for the reconstruction of bridges that were damaged by Typhoon Pablo (Bopha) last year.
In a statement on Thursday, December 5, DBM said it will release the funds to the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for the reconstruction and repair of several bridges in Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental.
"The aim, really, is to reverse the extent of the damage caused by Pablo through projects that will ultimately repair bridges and roads vital to the economic activity in Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley," DBM Secretary Florencio "Butch" Abad said.
The P1.06 billion will be charged against DPWH's 2013 budget, DBM noted.
A total of P517.4 million will be spent for the reconstruction and repair of Caraga, Cateel, Taytayan, and Odiongan bridges along the roads spanning Surigao del Sur-Davao Oriental and Cateel-Compostela.
Another P543.0 million will be used for the rehabilitation of Mayo, Manurigao, Dapnan, Casauman, Quinonoan and Baguan bridges, connecting the Surigao del Sur and Davao Oriental coastal roads.
"Because Davao Oriental is the leading coconut-producing province in the region, rebuilding their infrastructure will create a significant and positive impact on the province's ability to recover from Pablo's devastation," said Abad.
President Benigno Aquino III approved a budget of P10.53 billion for the Task Force Pablo Rehabilitation Plan in September 2013.
So far, P8.49 billion has been released to the National Housing Authority and Department of Social Welfare and Development, the Budget department said. (READ: Rehabilitation ongoing for Pablo victims)
Typhoon Pablo struck Mindanao on December 4 and 5, 2012, destroying more than 200,000 houses, and displacing over 970,000 people. Some 1,900 people were reported dead or missing. – Cherrie Regalado/Rappler.com