Mining EO still in suspense

Rappler.com
Malacanang says extensive consultations with mining stakeholders ensure that the much-awaited executive order will address issues

MANILA, Philippines – Malacanang said the much-awaited executive order will “certainly” address various issues in the mining industry since this would be a result of extensive consultations.

When the order will be released is yet to be decided, according to Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda when asked about it in a press briefing on Monday, June 11.

Envrionment Secretary Ramon Paje previously said the order might be signed this week. It was originally meant to be released last February.

“It will certainly address [the concerns of the mining sector and the stakeholder]. We met with the stakeholders–the government, the mining industry, the environmentalists–so the EO will certainly put into its provisions those concerns that have been raised and tries to address them. As to how the extent, we will know only when we have the details of the EO, when we release the EO,” Lacierda said.

The extractive industry’s impact on the environment as well as low revenues the government collects from the mining operators have led to the review by the Aquino administration.

Last March, mining industry players held a forum in Makati City to purportedly get their side heard. The heated exchange between two key personalities–Regina Lopez from the anti-mining groups, and businessman Manuel V. Pangilinan from the pro-mining side–increased the anticipation for the release of the mining EO. – Rappler.com

For the existing mining contracts in the Philippines, view this #WhyMining map.

How does mining affect you? Are you pro or against mining? Engage, discuss & take a stand! Visit Rappler’s #WhyMining microsite for the latest stories on issues affecting the mining sector. Join the conversation by emailing whymining@rappler.com your views on the issue.

For other views on mining, read:

Yes to Mining No to Mining

More on #WhyMining: