MANILA, Philippines – The previously reported $45 million deal between the Philippine government and Japanese contractor Takenaka Corp. for the completion and repair works on the NAIA Terminal 3 (NAIA-3) has yet to be ironed out.
Transportation Secretary Mar Roxas told reporters on Tuesday, June 19, that they have tapped the officials from Incheon airport in South Korea to intervene in the negotiations between the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA), which operates the NAIA-3, and the Japanese firm.
“The Incheon airport consultants will help reconcile the conflict on interpretation between MIAA and Takenaka,” Roxas said.
“We expect that, in two weeks time, both parties would have resolved all conflict and would have identified how to complete the unfinished work at NAIA-3.”
There are 23 airport systems up for completion that the government had negotiated with Takenaka. These systems are crucial to fully operate the airport terminal by end-2012 or early 2013, as earlier promised by the DOTC.
“About 40% to 45% of the 23 systems were reconciled already. If both are able to reconcile all 23 systems by end of this month then work will begin next month. Incheon people are helping us on this,” added Roxas.
Among these systems include Baggage Handling and Reconciliation System, Flight Information Display System, Building Management System, Local Area Network, Fire Alarm and Protection System, and Passenger Loading Bridges.
When the infamous NAIA-3 incident between celebrity couple Raymart Santiago and Claudine Barretto, and columnist Ramon Tulfo erupted during the summer, the lack of a CCTV to document who-hit-whom-first was blamed on the unfinished airport works by Takenaka.
Only half of the NAIA-3 is currently operating. The over-a-decade delay in its completion has undermined the fact that NAIA-3 is the biggest of the 3 international terminals in the Manila airport where passenger complaints have been mounting.
Takenaka was the general contractor tapped by Piatco, the private consortium that won the right to build and operate NAIA-3. However, the government nullified Piatco’s contract, citing anti-dummy violations by the Filipino principals and its German partner. – Rappler.com