More people invested in stocks in 2012 - study
MANILA, Philippines - More people invested in the stock market in 2012, with retail accounts growing 5.9% from 2011, according to a study conducted by the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE).
Data gathered from 133 active brokers showed there were 506,761 retail investors who bought and sold shares in the market in 2012, compared to 478,362 in 2011.
These investors accounted for 96.4% of total accounts, while the remaining 3.6% were classified as institutional accounts or those held by corporations. Total accounts rose 4.1% to 525,850 from 505,054 in 2011.
"Our growing retail investor base has been supported in large part by the success of online trading and continuing efforts by the exchange and our trading participants to educate more Filipinos about the stock market," PSE president and CEO Hans Sicat said.
He said more Filipinos also wanted to take part in the growth of publicly traded companies.
Institutional accounts fell 28.5% to 19,089 from 26,962 in 2011.
Active retail accounts surged 9.8% to 163,807 in 2012 from 149,233 the previous year.
Active institutional accounts however went down 16.2% to 6,957 from 8,302 in 2011.
Local accounts dominated the market with a 98.5% share, but foreign accounts were more active.
Of total foreign accounts, 43.7% were active; of the local accounts, 32.3% were active.
Below is the profile of retail investors:
- 57.3% - male
- 42.7% - female
Value of accounts:
- 39.1% had accounts worth less than P500,000
- 33.5% - between P500,000 and P1,000,000
- 33.5% - more than P1,000,000
- 69.9% were 30 to 59 years old
- 18.9% - above 60
- 75.4% were based in Metro Manila
- 15.4% - Luzon
- 5.5% - Visayas
- 2.1% - Mindanao
- 1.6% - overseas
Nationalities of foreign retail investors:
- 36.3% - Chinese
- 19.8% - American
- 8.7% - European
- 4.4% - Taiwanese
- 3.8% - Korean
- 3.4% - Singaporean
- 1.6% - Japanese
- 21.5% - others
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.