Metrobank Q1 income soars 163% to P4.3-B
MANILA, Philippines - The banking unit of tycoon George Ty saw its net income in the first quarter of 2013 nearly tripled.
In a disclosure on Thursday, May 9, Metropolitan Bank & Trust Co. (Metrobank) reported a net income of P4.3 billion, a hefty 163% jump year-on-year.
It attributed this strong performance to "steady growth in core revenues, robust expansion in treasury and investment activities and increase in miscellaneous income.
Below is a summary of its financial performance in the first quarter:
- Total operating income reached P26.9 billion, a 57% increase, or P9.8 billion more, year-on-year
- Non-interest income reached P18.7 billion, up 103%. Contributing to this was the P11.3 billion earnings from treasury and investment activities; P2.1 billion service charges, fees and commissions, and; P5.2 billion miscellaneous income (including gains from sale of 15% stake in Toyota Motors Phils Corp in January 2013)
- Interest income at P8.2 billion, up 5%
- Net interest margin at 4%, an improvement from a year ago's 3.7%. This was attributed to "more favorable deposit mix" and sustained growth in higher-yielding assets
- Loans grew to P523.3 billion, up 15%, with consumer and middle market segments fueling the demand
- Deposits grew by 11%, with low-cost deposits accounting for 62% of total (no total deposit amount provided)
- Non-performing loans ratio improved to 1.8% from 2.2% a year ago; Funds set aside for losses from non-performing loans at P1.1 billion, bringing coverage to 124% from 110%
- Total consolidated assets reached P1-trillion
- Total equity reached P133.2 billion
- Capital adequacy ratio (CAR) reached 17.3%, with Tier 1 CAR at 14.8%
Metrobank now has total 831 branches and over 1,800 ATM units in its network nationwide. - Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.