PLDT, Globe restore network services
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) and Globe Telecom Inc. announced Thursday, July 17, that mobile network service coverage in Metro Manila and other areas hit by Typhoon Glenda (Rammasun) has been restored.
PLDT spokesperson Mon Isberto said Smart and Sun Cellular mobile services have been restored, though he noted that subscribers may still encounter some degradation of voice and mobile Internet services.
Network optimization activities for the restored services in the National Capital Region are still ongoing.
Isberto noted Central and Northern Luzon services for both Smart and Sun were largely unaffected.
Approximately 80% of mobile network service coverage in Southern Luzon and Bicol region has been restored. The remaining 20% may still experience service disruptions due to prolonged commercial power outage and transmission interruptions caused by fiber cuts and misaligned microwave radios.
Around 81% of the PLDT Group’s fixed line network facilities have been restored after damaged facilities were repaired and power was restored.
Globe Senior Vice President Yoly Crisanto said mobile services have been restored in areas that had service disruptions.
“Company efforts to expedite recovery process, coupled with fairer weather conditions, have allowed the telecommunications provider to restore services in affected areas,” she said.
According to Crisanto, the service disruption in areas heavily affected by the typhoon was caused mostly by loss of commercial power.
“Additional technical teams from other regions unaffected by the typhoon have also been deployed to aid local teams” in areas affected by the typhoon, noted Crisanto.
She added, "We wish to assure our customers that the company continues to expedite the recovery process in affected sites.”
Meanwhile, Globe services in northern Luzon and Metro Manila were generally unaffected. – Rappler.com