MANILA, Philippines – With more than 80% of the projects under the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for 2013 already bid out, the DPWH chief expressed confidence they could beat the election ban and complete the bidding process for all its projects in March.
In a session on the performance of the DPWH at a forum on Tuesday, March 19, Public Works Secretary Rogelio Singson said 3,179 projects have been bid out and and the bidding for 3,402 projects have been advertised as of February 28.
The DPWH has a P92 billion program for 2013 to finance a total of 3,709 projects. The bulk of the projects are located in districts and are below P50 million per project.
“For 2013, as of today, we’ve already bidded out over 80% of our 2013 projects. We are going to beat the election ban which forces us to implement all of the projects way ahead, way before the deadline for obligations for 2013 budget,” Singson said.
Medium term targets
Singson said the DPWH intends to achieve the following in terms of paving national roads:
- 88.4% or 27,627 km by 2013
- 97% or 30,316 km by 2015
- 100% or 31,242 km by 2016
He added that the DPWH intends to convert the temporary bridges on national roads into permanent ones. The targets are as follows:
- 96.75% or 340,510 – 2013
- 99.5% or 344,248 – 2015
- 100% or 345,978 – 2016
The agency also intents to increase the percentage of projects that are completed within time and budget. The targets are as follows:
- 80% – 2013
- 83% – 2015
- 85% – 2016
The DPWH also intends to construct additional kilometers of expressway through Public Private Partnership (PPP). The targets are as follows:
- 361 km – 2013
- 387 km – 2015
- 437 km – 2016
Singson said that in terms of the high speed highway network in Metro Manila and its 200-km sphere, the construction of some 92.85 km is already on-going. These are:
- Tarlac- Pangasinan-La Union Expressway (TPLEX) – 88.85 km worth P11.59 billion
- Daang Hari-SLEX Link – 4 km worth P2.01 billion
The DPWH also has a priority list of PPPs that covers 235.92 km and amounts to P176.15 billion. The projects are as follows:
- NAIA Expressway – 7.15 km worth P15.52 billion
- NLEx-SLEx Connector Road – 13.53 km worth P11.73 billion
- CALA Expressway – 47 km worth P35.58 billion
- Central Luzon Link Expressway, Tarlac- Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija Phase 1 – 30.7 km worth P14.94 billion
- Southern Tagalog Arterial Road, Lipa City-Batangas City Phase II – 19.74 km worth P1.96 billion
- C6 Expressway and Global Link – 59.5 km worth P44.59 billion
- C6 Extension – 43.6 km worth P42.38 billion
- Calamba-Los Banos Expressway – 14.7 km worth P9.45 billion