All 7 prequalified firms bid for Cebu airport project

Cherrie Regalado
'The high turnout is proof that investors have confidence in our PPP program,' says DOTC

ALL PARTICIPATED. The 7 groups prequalified to bid for the Mactan-Cebu International Airport project participated in the Nov 28 auction. Photo courtesy of the PPP Center

MANILA, Philippines – All of the seven groups prequalified to join the bidding for the P17.5-billion contract to expand and operate the Mactan-Cebu International Airport submitted offers for the project.

The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) said the groups submitted financial and technical bids for the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) project on Thursday, November 28.

“The high turnout is proof that investors have confidence in our PPP program. We want to sustain the momentum from this project to the next ones in our pipeline,” said DOTC Spokesperson Michael Arthur Sagcal.

The DOTC said the success of the auction was crucial in building the credibility of the PPP scheme. “The world is watching. It’s the acid test for our PPP,” Sagcal previously said.

The project is the first airport deal to be bid out under PPP, the centerpiece of the Aquino administration’s development goals. The government launched the program in 2010 to create much-needed infrastructure that will support the country’s economic growth.

The 7 groups vying for the project are:

  • AAA Airport Partners, led by the Ayala and Aboitiz companies
  • Filinvest-led CAI Airport consortium
  • First Philippine Airports of the Lopez Group
  • GMR Infrastructure and Megawide consortium
  • MPIC-JGS Airport consortium of the Manny Pangilinan and John Gokongwei groups
  • Henry Sy’s Premier Airport Group
  • San Miguel-Incheon Airport consortium


Results of the evaluation of technical proposals will be known by December 18, according to DOTC’s Bids and Awards Committee, while the financial bids will be opened the next day, December 19.

The project will be awarded to the winning group on January 14.

The Cebu airport project involves the construction of a new international passenger terminal building that can handle eight million passengers per year, double the airport’s current capacity. The deal also includes the operation and maintenance of old and new facilities.

The Cebu airport, the second-busiest in the country, accommodated some 6.7 million passengers in 2012, more than its intended capacity of 4.5 million. – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.