Australian police drop Mel Gibson probe

Agence France-Presse
Australian police drop Mel Gibson probe
The actor is not going to face charges over allegations that he pushed and verbally abused a photographer

SYDNEY, Australia – Hollywood star Mel Gibson will not face charges over allegations that he pushed and verbally abused a photographer, police said Friday, September 4 with the actor reportedly considering legal action himself.

Kristi Miller, an experienced news photographer with Sydney’s The Daily Telegraph, complained last month about Gibson’s behavior towards her after she took pictures of him as he left a cinema.

“The matter was reported appropriately and investigated thoroughly,” a New South Wales police spokeswoman told Agence France-Presse.

“At this stage, based on the evidence gathered, no formal action will be taken.”

Representatives for Gibson, who is in Australia to direct World War II drama Hacksaw Ridge, stressed no physical contact ever took place between the Braveheart and Lethal Weapon star and the photographer during their encounter.

Gibson has retained Sydney defamation lawyer Mark O’Brien and may initiate proceedings against The Daily Telegraph, The Sydney Morning Herald reported on Friday.

Telegraph editor Paul Whittaker said the newspaper stood “100 percent” by Miller’s account of what happened after she snapped Gibson leaving a cinema.

“As a result of the decision by New South Wales police and the statement by lawyers for Mr. Gibson, Kristi Miller is now considering her own legal options in regards to civil proceedings,” Whittaker said. – Rappler.com

Photo by DFree/Shutterstock.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.