MANILA, Philippines – At the 85th Oscar Awards on February 24 (February 25 Manila time), the Best Supporting Actress nominees are:
1. Sally Field – ‘Lincoln’
2. Anne Hathaway – ‘Les Miserables’
3. Jacki Weaver – ‘Silver Linings Playbook’
4. Helen Hunt – ‘The Sessions’
5. Amy Adams – ‘The Master’
Carljoe Javier: Among the categories, this is the one that feels easiest to pick. As far as hype and buzz go (as well as the actual performance), Anne Hathaway looks like she has this one in the bag for her portrayal of Fantine in “Les Miserables.”
While she is going up against some very familiar names — some that have received awards attention before — it definitely feels like it is Hathaway’s name that’s going to be called.
She sure deserves it, too. While her character is gone within the first act, she was the emotional high point of the film and her performance of “I Dreamed a Dream” has resonated most powerfully.
Francis Quina: There’s a belief that for actresses, the best and most sure way to win an Oscar is to either a) uglify yourself or b) play a prostitute. By this logic, the award should go to Anne Hathaway, since she does both for her brief portrayal of the doomed Fantine in the “Les Miserables” adaptation.
She has already won the Best Supporting Actress award in other awards events such as the Golden Globes, BAFTAs, and few other critics’ circles which makes her a lock for this award.
But if there’s anyone that can pull an upset, it might be Sally Field in “Lincoln.” But that seems unlikely, since there might be a revolution if Hathaway doesn’t win the award. – Rappler.com
(Who do YOU think will win the Best Supporting Actress award? Tell us by posting your comment below. Remember to read Rappler’s community and site use rules.)
Read our awards season stories here:
- Oscar predictions: Best Animated Feature Film
- Homestretch: 2013 Awards season
- AS IT HAPPENED: 2013 BAFTA Awards
- AS IT HAPPENED: 55th Grammy Awards
- Live Blog: The 19th Screen Actors Guild Awards
- Ben Affleck wins top prize at DGA awards
- The fans have spoken: People’s Choice Awards 2013
- ‘Argo’, Anne Hathaway, Daniel Day-Lewis win at the 19th SAG Awards
- ‘Argo’ wins producers’ award in new pre-Oscar boost
- Ben Affleck wins best director after his Oscar nomination snub
- VIDEO: Golden Globes red carpet
- Live Blog: The 70th Golden Globes
- fun., Gotye win big at Grammys
- ‘Family Guy’ creator Seth MacFarlane ready to host the Oscars
- Hugh Jackman: Oscar nomination exciting, surreal
- ‘Les Mis’, ‘Argo’ triumph in BAFTAs
(Carljoe Javier doesn’t know why people think he’s a snarky film critic who spends his time dashing the hopes of filmgoers. He thinks he’s not all that bad, really. He teaches at the State U, writes books, and studies film, comics, and video games…Then again, those people could be right.
Francis Quina teaches Creative Writing, Literature, and English in UP Diliman.)