MANILA, Philippines – MANILA, Philippines – At the 85th Oscar Awards on February 24 (February 25 Manila time), the Best Actor nominees are:
1. Bradley Cooper – ‘Silver Linings Playbook’
2. Daniel Day Lewis – ‘Lincoln’
3. Hugh Jackman – ‘Les Miserables’
4. Joaquin Phoenix – ‘The Master’
5. Denzel Washington – ‘Flight’
Francis Quina: Daniel Day-Lewis. Need I say more? Okay, maybe a few more sentences…
Day-Lewis has been known to disappear into his roles, to the point of carrying a long rifle on the set, learning his character’s trade such as butchering.
The man is method-acting personified, and in Spielberg’s “Lincoln,” he truly disappears into the iconic role of the late US president, thanks to some really great prosthetic work that compliments Day-Lewis’s brilliant acting.
Carljoe Javier: I know that a lot of people will be rooting for Hugh Jackman’s turn as Jean Valjean. And there are no slouches in this category.
But in terms of command of the screen, the ability to disappear into a character, and most importantly the delivery of a performance that enriches our understanding of not only character but of human nature, Daniel Day-Lewis should be taking the trophy home.
He makes such a compelling Abraham Lincoln that I don’t think it would be right if the trophy went elsewhere. – Rappler.com
(Who do YOU think will win the Best Actor award? Tell us by posting your comment below. Remember to read Rappler’s community and site use rules.)
Read our awards season stories here:
- Oscar preditcions: Best Director
- Oscar predictions: Best Original Screenplay
- Oscar predictions: Best Supporting Actor
- Oscar predictions: Best Supporting Actress
- Oscar predictions: Best Animated Feature Film
- Homestretch: 2013 Awards season
- AS IT HAPPENED: 2013 BAFTA Awards
- AS IT HAPPENED: 55th Grammy Awards
- Live Blog: The 19th Screen Actors Guild Awards
- Ben Affleck wins top prize at DGA awards
- The fans have spoken: People’s Choice Awards 2013
- ‘Argo’, Anne Hathaway, Daniel Day-Lewis win at the 19th SAG Awards
- ‘Argo’ wins producers’ award in new pre-Oscar boost
- Ben Affleck wins best director after his Oscar nomination snub
- VIDEO: Golden Globes red carpet
- Live Blog: The 70th Golden Globes
- fun., Gotye win big at Grammys
- ‘Family Guy’ creator Seth MacFarlane ready to host the Oscars
- Hugh Jackman: Oscar nomination exciting, surreal
- ‘Les Mis’, ‘Argo’ triumph in BAFTAs
(Carljoe Javier doesn’t know why people think he’s a snarky film critic who spends his time dashing the hopes of filmgoers. He thinks he’s not all that bad, really. He teaches at the State U, writes books, and studies film, comics, and video games…Then again, those people could be right.
Francis Quina teaches Creative Writing, Literature, and English in UP Diliman.)