Oscar predictions: Best Picture
MANILA, Philippines - MANILA, Philippines - At the 85th Oscar Awards on February 24 (February 25 Manila time), the Best Picture nominees are:
1. 'Beasts of the Southern Wild'
2. 'Zero Dark Thirty'
5. 'Life of Pi'
6. 'Les Miserables'
8. 'Silver Linings Playbook'
9. 'Django Unchained'
Of the 3, "Argo" seems most likely to win, since it’s the most crowd-pleasing. It doesn’t hurt that it has already won the Golden Globe for Best Picture Drama last January.
Carljoe Javier: Argo f#*$ yourself if you don’t think that "Argo" doesn’t deserve Best Picture.
The love it has gotten from the Golden Globes (among the other awards events this awards season) should also serve as an indicator that it’s a strong contender (while also likely influencing Oscar voting). As a celebration of filmmaking and the power of fantasy — as well as being a gripping spy thriller — I think it is a great choice.
It has got to be a Hollywood favorite for the way that it situates the move biz, aside from being just a well-crafted piece of work.
I do think, though, that "Lincoln" is also strong and has a great chance of heading home with the Oscar. I would not be surprised if the Oscars go with it. While it is a safe choice and an expected one, it would also be a justified one because it is an outstanding piece of filmmaking. - Rappler.com
Read our awards season stories here:
- Showbitz: Pinoy celebs anticipate the Oscars
- 'Twilight' is Razzies worst of 2012
- Oscar predictions: Best Actress
- Oscar predictions: Best Actor
- Interesting facts about the Oscars
- 'Silver Linings Playbook' wins big at Spirit Awards
- Hollywood prepares for its Oscars close-up
- Oscar predictions: Best Director
- Oscar predictions: Best Original Screenplay
- Oscar predictions: Best Supporting Actor
- Oscar predictions: Best Supporting Actress
- Oscar predictions: Best Animated Feature Film
- Homestretch: 2013 Awards season
- AS IT HAPPENED: 2013 BAFTA Awards
- AS IT HAPPENED: 55th Grammy Awards
- Live Blog: The 19th Screen Actors Guild Awards
- Ben Affleck wins top prize at DGA awards
- The fans have spoken: People's Choice Awards 2013
- 'Argo', Anne Hathaway, Daniel Day-Lewis win at the 19th SAG Awards
- 'Argo' wins producers' award in new pre-Oscar boost
- Ben Affleck wins best director after his Oscar nomination snub
- VIDEO: Golden Globes red carpet
- Live Blog: The 70th Golden Globes
- fun., Gotye win big at Grammys
- 'Family Guy' creator Seth MacFarlane ready to host the Oscars
- Hugh Jackman: Oscar nomination exciting, surreal
- 'Les Mis', 'Argo' triumph in BAFTAs
(Carljoe Javier doesn't know why people think he's a snarky film critic who spends his time dashing the hopes of filmgoers. He thinks he's not all that bad, really. He teaches at the State U, writes books, and studies film, comics, and video games...Then again, those people could be right.
Francis Quina teaches Creative Writing, Literature, and English in UP Diliman.)