MANILA, Philippines — Star Cinema announced on Wednesday, July 17, that it finally found the actress to play the role of Darna in the upcoming film – newcomer Jane de Leon.
Jane, 20, will follow the footsteps of actresses such as Angel Locsin, Marian Rivera, Vilma Santos, Lorna Tolentino, and others to play the iconic role created by Mars Ravelo.
But just who is Jane de Leon? Here are 5 facts about the actress.
1. Real name. In her first YouTube blog created 8 months ago, she revealed that her full name is Jane Florence Benitez de Leon.
“Galing siya sa grandmother ko which is Jane (It came from my grandmother whose name is Jane),” she said. Jane mentioned that some of the names her family were thinking of naming her include Hyacinth, Amapola, and Jade.
Her second name was derived from her aunt’s name Flor and her dad, Ruel Florencio.
2. She is from Laguna and loves animals. Jane revealed thhis information in the same YouTube blog. She confesses to being an animal lover, most especially cats.
3. She wasn’t a girly girl in the beginning. Jane shared that when she was young, she always leaned towards playing toys that are for young boys.
4. She appeared in a few movies and TV shows. Jane may be taking on the biggest movie role in her career but she’s no stranger to acting. She appeared in the movies Walwal and The Debutante, and TV shows such as Ipaglaban Mo, La Luna Sangre and most recently Halik, where she played Maggie Bartolome.
5. She used to be in a girl group. Jane used to be part of It’s Showtime’s girl group Girltrends.