GLAAD Awards honor LGBT inclusive media
MANILA, Philippines - The 24th annual Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Awards held April 20 in Los Angeles gave recognition to films, television shows, journalists, advertisers, and individuals who have portrayed the LGBT community in a truthful and non-discriminatory manner.
Winners and nominees were chosen on account of their “fair, accurate, and inclusive representation of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community."
Awards were presented by A-list stars like Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Charlize Theron, Darren Criss, and Betty White. The program was hosted by Drew Barrymore.
Here is the complete list of winners:
- Advocate for Change Award: Bill Clinton
- Stephen F. Kolzak Award: Steve Warren
- Outstanding Film (Wide Release): “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”
- Outstanding Comedy Series: “The New Normal”
- Outstanding Individual Episode: “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Me What to Do” (Raising Hope)
- Outstanding TV Movie or Mini-Series: “American Horror Story: Asylum”
- Outstanding Daily Drama: “Days of Our Lives”
- Outstanding Talk Show Episode: “At Home with Neil Patrick Harris, His Fiancé David Burtka, & Their Twins” (Oprah’s Next Chapter)
- Outstanding Los Angeles Theater: “The Children” by Michael Elyanow
- Outstanding Daytime Talk Show Episode: “Confirma su identidad como mujer”
- Outstanding TV Journalism - Newsmagazine (TIE): “Los transexuales buscan su identidad en medio de ignorancia y prejuicios" Encuentro and “La vida en rosa” Aquí y Ahora
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: “Gays y padres excelentes” by Pilar Marrero (La Opinión)