LOS ANGELES, California — Superman and Batman are to team up in a new film, its director and the studio behind this year’s blockbuster “Man of Steel” announced Saturday.
The new movie was announced by director Zack Snyder, widely praised for rebooting the Superman franchise last month, with Briton Henry Cavil proving his mettle in the title role.
Batman has yet to be cast, after Christian Bale said he had hung up his cape after the third and final “Dark Knight” movie last year.
The superhero double-act could be seen as an attempt by studio giant Warner Bros to emulate the record-breaking success of last year’s “Avengers” mega-hit, featuring Marvel characters.
“I’m so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can’t wait to expand the DC (comic book) Universe in this next chapter,” Snyder told the Comic-Con international pop culture gathering in San Diego.
“Let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world,” he said, cited by industry journal Variety.
DC Entertainment supremo Diane Nelson added: “Superman and Batman together on the big screen is a dream come true for DC fans everywhere.
“All of us at DC Entertainment could not be more excited for Zack’s continuing vision for the DC Universe,” she added, according to Variety.
Filming on the new movie is due to start next year, for a release in the middle of 2015.
“Man of Steel” has been a commercial success, taking over $600 million since its release last month. “The Dark Knight Rises” made over $1 billion last year.
“The Avengers,” based on Marvel comic superheros including Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and the Hulk, has taken $1.5 billion globally for Warner’s studio giant rivals at Disney. — Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.