MANILA, Philippines [UPDATED] – Filipina-Mexican-American Jessica Sanchez received both average reviews and praises on “American Idol” on Wednesday, April 25 (Thursday, April 26 in Manila), after the young singer performed the classic “Bohemian Rhapsody” and the ballad “Dance With My Father.”
The top 6 finalists of the show were set to sing 2 songs — one from the catalogue of rock legend Queen, and another of their choice.
Sanchez opened the evening with her rendition of the rock anthem, which the judges said was a good performance but needed more energy.
“Rock isn’t your forte,” rock legend and ‘Idol’ judge Steven Tyler said, adding however that the late Freddie Mercury would be proud of her.
Jennifer Lopez, meanwhile, said Sanchez sang the song beautifully but her performance needed more energy.
Veteran ‘Idol’ judge Randy Jackson, meanwhile, said he loved her performance, and advised the 16-year-old to watch Tina Turner videos for inspiration.
Praises for ‘Dance With My Father’
For her second song, Sanchez chose Luther Vandross’ “Dance With My Father,” earning her better reactions from the 3 judges this time.
Lopez praised her rendition of the ballad, while Jackson said she is “truly amazing.”
“That may have been the best I’ve heard that song sang,” Lopez said.
Tyler, on the other hand, said he is ‘honored’ to watch the Filipino-Mexican-American “evolve” as a singer on the show.
“Your voce is so different than anybody else’s,” Tyler added.
Meanwhile, here are the songs sang by the other finalists:
- Skylar Laine: “Show Must Go On” (Queen); “Tattoos on This Town” (Jason Aldean)
- Joshua Ledet: “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” (Queen); Ready for Love (India.Arie)
- Elise Testone: “I Want It All” (Queen); “Bold as Love” (Jimi Hendrix)
- Phillip Phillips: “Fat Bottomed Girls” (Queen); “The Stone” (Dave Matthews Band)
- Hollie Cavanagh: “Save Me” (Queen); “The Climb” (Miley Cyrus)
Prior to the show, the producers of ‘Idol’ said host Ryan Seacrest, who has been on every single show since its inception in 2002, was “really sick,” and might not be able to host the show for the first time.
However, Seacrest was present on the show, despite not feeling well.
The host has just renewed his contract with the top-rated singing competition. – Rappler.com
Click on the links below for more.
- ‘Idol’ alums Jessica Sanchez, Daughtry perform at US Memorial Day concert
- Smaller paychecks for Jessica Sanchez, other ‘Idol’ losers
- Why Phillips is doing better than Jessica in iTunes