2014 Oscars: Jared Leto wins Best Supporting Actor
MANILA, Philippines – Jared Leto has won the Best Supporting Actor award for his role as Rayon in the critically acclaimed Dallas Buyers Club.
In the movie, he plays Rayon, a transgender woman who befriends HIV-positive Ron Woodroof. Together, they establish the Dallas Buyers Club to bring drugs to other HIV-positive patients.
“To my fellow nominees, I’m so proud to share this journey with you,” Jared said, thanking the Academy. He especially thanked his mother: “I just want to say, I love you mom, thank you for teaching me how to dream.”
He said that dedicated his award to those who have ever felt injustice for being who they were, and for loving who they loved.
This is the first win and nomination for Jared. He beat out Bradley Cooper, Barkhad Abdi, Michael Fassbender, and Jonah Hill for the role.
The actor, who dropped a lot of weight and spent much of the time on set in character, transformed almost completely in the process, donning high heels, tights, and full makeup.
He’s no stranger to changing his appearance for the role: previously, he gained 60 pounds to play John Lennon’s assassin Mark David Chapman in Chapter 27 – Rappler.com
RAPPLER STORIES ON THE 2014 OSCARS
The awards night
- Live Blog: Oscars 2014
- Full list: Winners at the OSCARS 2014
- Big winners at the 2014 Oscars: '12 Years A Slave,' 'Gravity'
- See the looks: Oscars 2014 Red Carpet
- 2014 Oscars: Jared Leto wins Best Supporting Actor
- 2014 Oscars: Lupita Nyong’o wins Best Supporting Actress
- 2014 Oscars: Matthew McConaughey wins Best Actor
- 2014 Oscars: Cate Blanchett wins Best Actress
- Ellen's Oscars 'Selfie' is most retweeted post of all time
- He did it! Fil-Am Robert Lopez EGOT winner after ‘Frozen’ win
- Double win for 'Frozen' in 2014 Oscars
- FULL LIST: Oscars 2014 nominations announced
- Oscars 2014: Guide to the Best Actor nominees
- Oscars 2014: Guide to the Best Actress nominees
- Oscars 2014: Guide to the Best Supporting Actor nominees
- Oscars 2014: Guide to the Best Supporting Actress nominees
- A 'Frozen' Oscar may land Fil-Am songwriter EGOT spot
- 'Frozen' wish, granted: Idina Menzel to perform 'Let it Go' at Oscars
- U2 to play Mandela song at Oscars
- Academy kills Oscars nomination over email gaffe
- Leonardo DiCaprio, an Oscar, and the Internet
- Bizarre and memorable Oscar moments
- Leo's dancing, J-Law's cinematic crush: Oscar nominee trivia
- The story of the Oscar statuette