2014 Oscars: Cate Blanchett wins Best Actress
MANILA, Philippines – Cate Blanchett has won the Best Actress award for her role in Blue Jasmine.
The 44-year-old Australian actress, who perfectly portrayed a New Yorker who suffers a riches-to-rags turn when her husband's financial scheme unravels, made a point of thanking Allen for choosing her for his "extraordinary screenplay."
"Thank you so much, Woody, for casting me. I'm truly appreciative," she said.
Allen rarely attends awards ceremonies and was not at Sunday's Oscars.
The legendary but controversial director made headlines last month when he wrote a lengthy column in The New York Times to again deny that he molested his daughter, and launched a furious attack on his ex-partner Mia Farrow, blaming her for the abuse allegations.
Blanchett also said it was especially poignant to win the award this year, given the "extraordinary performances by women."
"Perhaps those of us in the industry who are still foolishly clinging to the idea that female films, with women at the center, are niche experiences: they're not," she said.
"Audiences want to see them. And in fact, they earn money."
Though Cate said that her winning was “random” and “subjective,” she nevertheless went on to say that the award meant a great deal to her. She took extra time to acknowledge the other nominees, at one point joking with Sandra that Cate could ‘watch that performance till the end of time,” – and that actually, sort of felt like she had.
She also gave a cryptic, “Julia, hashtag, suck it. You know what I mean?”
This is the second win for Cate, who previously won Best Supporting Actress for The Aviator. She beat out Sandra Bullock, who has one statue and two nominations, Judi Dench, who has one statue and 7 nominations, Meryl Streep, with 3 statues and 18 nominations, and Amy Adams, with 5 nominations and no win. – With reports from Agence France-Presse/Rappler.com
RAPPLER STORIES ON THE 2014 OSCARS
The awards night
- Live Blog: Oscars 2014
- Full list: Winners at the OSCARS 2014
- Big winners at the 2014 Oscars: '12 Years A Slave,' 'Gravity'
- See the looks: Oscars 2014 Red Carpet
- 2014 Oscars: Jared Leto wins Best Supporting Actor
- 2014 Oscars: Lupita Nyong’o wins Best Supporting Actress
- 2014 Oscars: Matthew McConaughey wins Best Actor
- 2014 Oscars: Cate Blanchett wins Best Actress
- Ellen's Oscars 'Selfie' is most retweeted post of all time
- He did it! Fil-Am Robert Lopez EGOT winner after ‘Frozen’ win
- Double win for 'Frozen' in 2014 Oscars
- FULL LIST: Oscars 2014 nominations announced
- Oscars 2014: Guide to the Best Actor nominees
- Oscars 2014: Guide to the Best Actress nominees
- Oscars 2014: Guide to the Best Supporting Actor nominees
- Oscars 2014: Guide to the Best Supporting Actress nominees
- A 'Frozen' Oscar may land Fil-Am songwriter EGOT spot
- 'Frozen' wish, granted: Idina Menzel to perform 'Let it Go' at Oscars
- U2 to play Mandela song at Oscars
- Academy kills Oscars nomination over email gaffe
- Leonardo DiCaprio, an Oscar, and the Internet
- Bizarre and memorable Oscar moments
- Leo's dancing, J-Law's cinematic crush: Oscar nominee trivia
- The story of the Oscar statuette