MANILA, Philippines – The Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP) will stage the first Sineng Pambansa National Film Festival in Davao City from June 29 to July 3. The festival will feature the finalists of FDCP’s first National Film Competition held last year. Films will be screened at SM City Davao, Abreeza, G-Mall and NCCC Mall.
The formal opening on June 29 will highlight the latest film of Cannes Best Director Brillante Mendoza, Thy Womb, a joint project of FDCP and Mendoza’s CenterStage Productions. Mendoza and the film’s lead actor, Nora Aunor, will grace the event.
The FDCP initiated the National Film Competition in September 2011. There were 120 entries, from full-length features and documentaries to animated shorts from all over the country. A unique feature of the competition is that the dialect of the locality is used in the dialogue or narration, to underscore the vitality of the country’s indigenous cultural heritage.
The 18 finalists were awarded seed money to finish their films. A second batch of meritorious entries will receive funding later this year.
FDCP Chairman Briccio Santos notes that the finalists came from as far north as Kalinga and Benguet in the north, and Davao, Marawi and Jolo in the south.
“The region-based filmmakers are now contributing their outstanding talent and creativity to the making of a true Sineng Pambansa or National Cinema,” says Santos.
Here are the finalists:
Full-length feature film
- Ang Mga Kidnapper ni Ronnie Lazaro, Sigfried Barros-Sanchez, Manila
- Qwerty, Eduardo Lejano Jr., Manila
- Kanana Kanu, Jocelyn Banasan-Kapuno, Kalinga
- Ang Mga Aswang, John Raymund Macahilas, Iloilo
- Beadworks, Ronny N. Poblacion, Iloilo
- Gugma Sang Panahon Sang Bakunawa, Peter Solis Nery, Iloilo
- Tambara, Orvil C. Bantayan, Davao
- Duwaya (Polygamy), Najib Alyhar Benito-Zacaria, Marawi
- Malan, Agustin Pagusara Jr., Davao
- In Banka Ha Ut Sin Duwa Sapah, Fyred Alsad Alfad III, Jolo, Sulu
- Qiyamah, Gutierrez Mangansakan II, Maguindanao
- Jingle Lang ang Pahina, Dominador Escasa Jr., Tagaytay
- Illustrated by, Levi “Pepper” Marcelo, Manila
- Ginabuhi It Bulig (Binubuhay ng Pagtulong), Lester G. Babiera, Aklan
- Walay Tumo’y ng Punterya (No End in Sight), Cierlito Espejo Tabay, Cebu
- Tagurih: The Kites of Sulu, Dempster P. Samarista, Sulu
- Kalon, Blecyrezza E. Piluden
- Si Pagong at si Matsing, Analyne D. Pineda
Members of the jury are:
- Christian Merer, Counsellor for Cultural Affairs of the French Embassy
- Sabrina Baracetti, president of the Centro Espressioni Cinematografiche and festival president of Far East Film Festival in Odine, Italy (documentary)
- Kim Ji-Seok, executive programmer of the Busan International Film Festival
- Paolo Bertolin, consultant of Venice Film Festival (full-length feature)
As of this writing, the names of the two Filipino film critics who will join the jury have yet to be announced. Awarding ceremonies for the winners will take place at the Abreeza Cinema 4 on July 1. – Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.