Actress Sunshine Dizon on Monday, July 27, broke her silence on her stances on politics and the country’s issues.
In a lengthy Instagram post, Dizon said that she had been silent because she believed in keeping quiet when there aren’t nice words to say.
However, the 37-year-old Kapuso actress said she could no longer stay silent because of the government’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic, the denial of a new franchise for ABS-CBN, and the enactment of the Anti-Terrorism Act.
“Matagal na akong nanahimik, sinabi ko din na kung walang magandang sasabihin, manahimik na lang pero mas malaking kasalanan ang magbulag bulagan kung alam mo ng hindi na tama,” Dizon said. (I’ve been quiet for so long because I said if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say it. But it’s a bigger sin to turn a blind eye from things you know aren’t right).
Dizon said she can’t support the controversial Anti-Terrorism law, which she believes could be easily abused.
“Sumasang-ayon ako sa batas na poprotekta sa ating lahat laban sa terorismo pero hindi ako sang-ayon sa batas na hindi malinaw, na posibleng maabuso sa kamay ng mga taong nakatataas, at makapangyarihan na pansariling pakinabang ang uunahin,” she wrote. (I’m all for laws that protect us against terrorism, but I’m not for laws that aren’t clear and can be abused at the hands of people in power).
She also expressed her disappointment over the lack of “transparency” or details of any actual plan on the COVID-19 pandemic following President Rodrigo Duterte’s 5th State of the Nation Address.
“Araw-araw tumataas ang bilang ng may mga sakit dahil sa COVID. Nasaan na ang konkretong plano para sa bayan? Wala pa rin mass testing. Pero nagawang ipasara ang ABS-CBN at tanggalan ng hanap buhay ang higit sa 11,000 na pamilya,” she added.
(Every day, the number of our COVID cases rise. Where are the concrete plans for our country? We still don’t have mass testing, but what was done was shut down and ABS-CBN and take away the livelihoods of over 11,000 families). – John Philip Bravo/Rappler.com