COVID-19

On ‘It’s Showtime,’ Tuesday Vargas calls for better COVID-19 response

On ‘It’s Showtime,’ Tuesday Vargas calls for better COVID-19 response

TUESDAY VARGAS. The comedian expresess her hope for better pandemic response on 'It's Showtime.'

ABS-CBN Entertainment screenshot

'I-deserve naman nila yung buwis na binabayad,' Tuesday says

It seems that Tuesday Vargas has had it with the quarantine roulette.

On an episode of It’s Showtime on Tuesday, September 7, the comedian called out the government’s fickle COVID-19 response, as she responded to a question about returning to general community quarantine (GCQ).

On the Madlang Pi-poll segment, Tuesday, along with fellow guest comedians Kitkat and Wilma Doesnt weighed in on the poll question: “Sang-ayon ka bang ilagay ulit ang Metro Manila under GCQ (are you in favor of Metro Manila returning to GCQ)?”

On ‘It’s Showtime,’ Tuesday Vargas calls for better COVID-19 response

Kitkat and Wilma both said they were in favor of returning to GCQ because businesses were suffering and people were losing jobs. But Tuesday sang a different tune.

No naman sa akin. Siguro magye-yes ako kung mas may konkretong plano. Yung hindi ora-orada, pabalik-balik na ECQ, MECQ, GCQ,” she said.

(I say no. Maybe I would say yes if there were more concrete plans, if we didn’t go from ECQ, to MECQ, to GCQ every hour.)

Parang ganun-ganun tayo so gusto ko siguro ng mas maganda at mas maayos na sistema, mas maganda at mas maayos na pamamalakad ng lahat ng paglabas ng mga sistema na ito para i-deserve naman nila yung buwis na binabayad,” she continued.

(That’s how we’ve been. I want a better and more efficient system, better and more efficient roll-out of this system, so they can say they deserve the taxes we’re paying.)

Host Vice Ganda and the rest of the It’s Showtime judges nodded and applauded in seeming agreement with Tuesday, with Vice Ganda reminding people that whatever the quarantine status is, it’s best to stay home.

On Twitter, Tuesday said that her speaking up was not about taking political sides.

Nais ko pong gamitin nang mahusay ang aming platform. Bago pa po ang artista na persona, ako po ay Pilipino na naninindigan kasama ng aking mga kababayan. Gagamitin ko po ang aking boses para po sa mabuti,” she said in a tweet on Tuesday.

(I want to use our platform wisely. Before the celebrity persona, I am a Filipino who stands with my countrymen. I will use my voice for good.)

Hindi po ito issue ng kanan o kaliwa, ng ka alyado ng pamahalaan o hindi. Tayo po ay nasa iisang pandemya, nasa iisang sitwasyon. Ang gusto nating lahat ay mas malinaw at konkretong plano para sa lahat. At kung kinakailangan sabihin, mauuna na po kaming nakikita nyo sa TV,” she said.

(This is not an issue of right or left, of being an ally of the government or not. We are in one pandemic, one situation. We all want clear and concrete plans for all of us. And if it needs to be said, we, the people you see on TV, will be the first to say it.)

She said that her It’s Showtime guesting had been really fun, and she didn’t intend to get political.

Hindi ko po pinlano na maging pulitikal. Subalit tinawag ako ng tanong at marapat na sagutin lang nang tama. Karapatan ko bilang mamamayan na maliwanagan.”

(I didn’t plan to get political. But I was asked a question, and I responded. It’s my right as a citizen to be informed.)

Metro Manila currently remains under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) until September 15, after a last-minute announcement from Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque on Tuesday.

The new announcement was a backtrack from the government’s previous plan to place Metro Manila under general community quarantine from September 8, with the implementation of a new quarantine system that focused on “granular lockdowns.” – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.