MANILA, Philippines — The late Eddie Garcia is likely best known for the roles he played both on TV and on the big screen. But in recent years, it's his nuggets of wisdom that's endeared him the most to a younger generation of fans.
Garcia, a pillar in the Philippine entertainment industry died on Thursday, June 20. He had been confined in the hospital following an incident while taping for a show which would have been his GMA 7 comeback.
Here are some choice quotes from his interviews through the years:
1. Always give your 100%. In an interview on ABS-CBN's Pipol years back, the actor talked about playing the antogonist is his projects.
"Well somebody had to play [these roles], and it happened to be me," he said. “No matter the role, or how small it is, you have to give it your best.”
2. Doing your job well. For the veteran actor, it doesn't matter if he's playing a carpenter or businessman – he always makes sure he get the job done.
"Whatever role is given to you — if you’re doing comedy, make them laugh. If you’re doing drama, make them feel it. If you’re doing horror, scare them," he said in the same Pipol interview.
Photo by Philippe Lopez/AFP)
"Everybody was created by God,” he said.
"If you are a homosexual, God created you that way. There’s nothing wrong with it.”
4. A one-woman man. Despite his fame, Garcia has kept most details of his personal life, well, personal. But in an interview on Pipol, he opened up about losing his wife to cancer, his son in an accident, and a daughter to a heart attack.
The actor has one son and several grandchildren. Up until his death, he was in a relationship with partner Lilibeth Romero.
He told Esquire: "Women should be treated delicately. They should be put on a pedestal. She should be worshipped. I’m a one-woman man."
5. Don't procrastinate. In an interview with Esquire in 2018, Manoy made a case for doing things right away and for arriving right on time.
"What you could do today, do it now, so you could do something else tomorrow."
6. No regrets. In a 2018 interview with Pep for Hintayan ng Langit, he had this to say about living life sans regrets: "Well, you do good to your fellowmen, and huwag kang mang-aapi ng tao, and you live a happy life.” — Rappler.com