WINNERS: 2013 CinemaOne Originals filmfest
MANILA, Philippines – Of the 15 titles from this year's CinemaOne Originals Digital Film Festival, Adolfo Alix Jr's “Ang Alamat ni China Doll” (Plus Category) and Jet Leyco's “Bukas Na Lang Sapagka't Gabi Na” (Currents Category) are the two best films in the awards night held on Saturday, November 16 at the ABS-CBN Dolphy Theater.
Among the big winners were Angelica Panganiban who took home the Best Actress award for "Alamat ng China Doll," and Joel Torre who was awarded Best Actor for "Kabisera," a film by his nephew and Best Director Borgy Torre.
Robi Domingo and Alex Gonzaga were the hosts for the evening, which featured performances from rappers Quest and Abra, The Voice finalists Radha Cuadrado and Maki Ricafort. A special number by KZ Tandingan and Mike Hanopol, who sang classic OPM hit "Laki Sa Layaw (Jeproks)" also delighted the audience.
Veteran director Elwood Perez and reknowned film producer Lily Monteverde were also given video tributes and awarded with the Philippine Cinema One Originals Award for their contribution to Pinoy cinema.
The festival held from November 11 to 19 featured 15 titles divided into the Plus and Currents categories, based on the films' commercial potential. The 5 most marketable concepts in the Plus category were each alloted P2 million grants, while 10 films in the Currents were given P1 million each.
In 2014, 10 films will be given the P2 million grant.
Since 2005, the festival has opened the door to independent productions and was one of the first to recognize the talents of now acclaimed directors Jerrold Tarog ("Confessional"), Richard Somes ("Ishmael"), and Rico Ilarde ("Altar"), among others.
Main Awards, Plus Category:
- Best Director: Borgy Torre, “Kabisera”
- Best Actor: Joel Torre, “Kabisera”
- Best Actress: Angelica Panganiban, “Ang Alamat ni China Doll”
- Best Supporting Actress: Bing Pimentel, "Kabisera"
- Best Supporting Actor: David Chua, "Saturday Night Chills"
- Best Sound: “Alamat ni China Doll”
- Best Music: “Alamat ni China Doll”
- Best Editing: “Alamat ni China Doll”
- Best Production Design: “Blue Bustamante”
Best Cinematography: “Alamat ni China Doll”
Best Screenplay: "Sitio" by Mes De Guzman
- Jury Award: “Sitio”
Main Awards, Currents Category:
- Best Director: Arnel Mardoquio, "Riddles of My Homecoming"
- Best Actor: Rayver Cruz, Matteo Gudicelli, Joseph Marco, "Saturday Night Chills"
- Best Actress: Vivian Velez, "Bendor"
- Best Supporting Actress: Anna Luna, "Bendor"
- Best Supporting Actor: Peque Gallaga, "Woman of the Ruins"
- Best Sound: “Islands”
- Best Music: “Riddles of My Homecoming”
- Best Editing: “Saturday Night Chills”
- Best Production Design: “Riddles of My Homecoming”
- Best Cinematography: “Riddles of My Homecoming"
- Best Screenplay: “Bukas na lang Sapagka't Gabi Na” by Jet Leyco
- Jury Award: "Riddles of my Homecoming"
- Audience Choice: "Woman of the Ruins" by Keith Sicat
- Biogesic Ingat na Damang Dama Sineserye (by students): "Magic Touch" by Students from UE Caloocan
- Philippine Cinema Originals Award: Director Elwood Perez and Producer Lily Monteverde
This year's winners:
- Best Picture Currents: “Bukas Na Lang Sapagka't Gabi Na” by Jet Leyco
- Best Picture Plus: “Alamat ni China Doll” by Adolfo Alix Jr
- "Sa North Diversion Road" by Dennis Marasigan (2005)
- "Huling Balyan ng Buhi" by Sherad Anthony Sanchez (2006)
- "Confessional" by Jerrold Tarog and Ruel Dahis Antipuesto (2007)
- "Imburnal" by Sherad Anthony Sanchez (2008)
- "Wanted: Border" by Ray Defante Gibraltar (2009)
- "Layang Bilanggo" by Mike Dagñalan (2010)
- "Ka Oryang" by Sari Raissa Lluch Dalena (2011)
- "Pascalina" by Pam Miras (2012)
Culture and beyond
We love pop culture. Whether it is TV, movies, or music, we seek to go beyond the news by providing deep dives and explainers on the latest trends happening locally and around the world.
Serious work goes into our brand of cultural journalism. However, to continue exploring the entertainment landscape, we need your support.
By joining Rappler PLUS, you will get exclusive event invites, industry reports, and Rappler Shop discounts.
But more than that, you will enable us to continue telling more stories.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.