LISTEN: Aretha covers Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep'
MANILA, Philippines – The Queen of Soul is back – and she's breathing new life to the diva hits of the past few decades.
Aretha Franklin's cover of Adele's 2010 megahit "Rolling in the Deep" had netizens hitting the play button over and over again, after the song was released on YouTube Monday, September 29.
The cover offers a taste of Franklin's upcoming album, Aretha Franklin Sings the Great Diva Classics, set for release October 21. The cover is the first single from the album, which will be released by RCA Records.
Billboard reported the track shot up to number 2 in the website's Billboard+Twitter Trending 140, which measures real-time online buzz for songs.
Other songs set to be included in the album are covers of some of the biggest hits from the past few decades. The track list, Rolling Stone reports, will include:
- At Last (Etta James cover)
- Rolling in the Deep (Adele cover)
- Midnight Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight and The Pips cover)
- I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor cover)
- People (Barbra Streisand cover)
- No One (Alicia Keys cover)
- I'm Every Woman (Chaka Khan cover)/Respect
- Teach Me Tonight (Dinah Washington cover)
- You Keep Me Hangin' on (The Supremes cover)
- Nothing Compares2 U (Sinead O'Connor cover)
The upcoming album was made in collaboration with music mogul Clive Davis, who serves as its executive producer. Davis told Billboard that Franklin is "on fire and vocally in absolutely peak form." – Rappler.com