music festivals

UK’s Glastonbury Festival canceled again this year due to COVID-19

Reuters
UK’s Glastonbury Festival canceled again this year due to COVID-19

British musician Paul McCartney performs during the "One on One" tour concert in Porto Alegre, Brazil October 13, 2017.

File photo by Diego Vara/Reuters

Last year's festival was also canceled, which would've been its 50th anniversary with Paul McCartney headlining

Britain’s Glastonbury Festival, the largest greenfield music festival in the world, has been canceled for a second year running because of the COVID-19 pandemic, organizers said on Thursday, January 21.

“With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place, and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us,” founder Michael Eavis and his daughter Emily said in a statement on Twitter.

“In spite of our efforts to move Heaven & Earth, it has become clear that we simply will not be able to make the Festival happen this year. We are so sorry to let you all down.”

The festival was also canceled last year because of the pandemic. More than 135,000 tickets had sold out in just 34 minutes for the event held on Eavis’s dairy farm in southwest England.

It would have been the 50th anniversary of the festival, with former Beatle Paul McCartney due to headline.

“As with last year, we would like to offer all those who secured a ticket in October 2019 the opportunity to roll their 50 pound deposit over to next year, and guarantee the chance to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2022.”

Glastonbury Festival, famed for turning into a mud bath when it rains, was founded by dairy farmer Eavis, 83, and his late wife Jean in 1970, after they were inspired by the Bath Festival of Blues. He now organizes the event with his daughter. – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.