What's it like to watch a 'Voice Kids' live show?
MANILA, Philippines – You've seen your favorite shows on TV, but what's it like to view it live? (READ: FULL RECAP: 'The Voice Kids PH 2' Grand finals)
We were recently at Resorts World to view the semifinals and finals round of The Voice Kids PH 2. It's definitely more intense, as you get the full effect of a powerhouse performance, and the audience reaction, too. (READ: Lea Salonga, Bamboo on Sarah G, 'The Voice Kids PH 2' Top 4 results)
Here's what it's like inside a Voice Kids live show:
Before the show
Even though some were waiting hours before the show, the crowd outside the theater started buzzing as the guests of the kids, coaches, and hosts were being let in. Not everyone had tickets, but supporters of Elha Nympha, Reynan Dal-Anay, Esang de Torres, and Sassa Dagdag were hoping to fill up the seats that weren't taken by ticket holders.
A camera panned through those outside, and people began chanting the names of the Top 4 kids' names: "Sassa, Sassa! Elha, Elha! Esang, Esang!" The chants for Reynan were punctuated by his family and friends walking in, dressed in their tribe's traditional clothing.
During commercial breaks
When the Voice Kids live shows stopped for commercial breaks, the actual show stopped for a break, too.
While off-air, comedian Eric Nicolas engaged the audience, helping to keep the energy up while the judges and hosts got ready for the next segment.
Teams would touch up and fix coaches' clothes and appearance, and the show's director would tell the coaches what would happen for the next round of performances. For example, the coaches were told that they weren't required to give comments anymore after each of the solo performances last night.
Meanwhile, host Luis Manzano would take his spot on the judges' platform, chat with them, and practice his lines.
Host Robi Domingo, on the other hand, took his spot on the stage, getting directions from a disembodied voice on a mic, clashing with Eric's spiel. He even conducted the audience's chants from the stage.
Aside from the deafening cheers and chants, the air was also punctuated by audience members trying to get the judges and hosts' attention. For example, the ladies behind the judges' seats in particular were asking for coach Bamboo Manalac to take a selfie with them. He eventually turned around for them and posed.
You hear the full blast of the kids' performances on TV, but the cheers from the crowd were all very loud for every Top 4 kid's performance.
Reynan's playful performance had everyone smiling with him, Esang de Torres moved through the stage like she owned it, the beautiful texture in Sassa Dagdag's voice echoed through the air, and Elha Nympha's whistle notes had the crowd roaring.
What you don't see on TV though, are the cameras moving in front of the stage, getting all angles of the performers, as well as the hosts. Dancers for the next act would also start getting ready behind the kids as they performed, no doubt hidden from the viewers at home with a clever cut-away.
As the show drew to a close, the cheers from the crowd were deafening. The noise only died down after voting mechanics were announced and it was time to leave.
Everyone rushed towards the two exits at the back, as the show's crew began cleaning up the set and the coaches and hosts left to go backstage. The stage, which was lit up with all kinds of flashing lights during the show, turned dark, and the giant hand statues making The Voice's iconic V sign were marked with tape. The coaches' seats, on a platform a few meters away from the stage, were marked up too.
The theater lights dimmed, and only the voices of the crew and the few people remaining could be heard. The stage will be lit up again for the show and results – and for the next events, but these seats will stay empty for now. – Rappler.com
More The Voice Kids PH 2 below:
- Lea Salonga, Bamboo on Sarah G, 'The Voice Kids PH 2' Top 4 results
- FULL RECAP: 'The Voice Kids PH 2' Grand finals
- 'The Voice Kids PH 2': Final 4 revealed
- READ: 'The Voice Kids PH 2' coaches prep Top 6 for semi-finals
- WATCH: 'The Voice Kids PH 2' Top 6 on their biggest competition, semifinal round
- Meet the 'The Voice Kids PH 2' top 6
- How 'The Voice Kids PH' coaches help kids cope with pressure
- WATCH: The 5 best Battle Rounds from 'The Voice Kids Philippines 2'
- FULL LIST: 'Voice Kids PH' Battle Rounds results: Who's in, who's out?
- 10 amazing 'Voice Kids PH 2' blind auditions
- WATCH: Lea Salonga 'mini-me' stuns in 'Voice Kids PH' audition
- WATCH: Brothers from Bohol impress with unique 'Voice Kids PH 2' blind audition
- WATCH: 'Voice Kids PH' coaches turn for young contestant singing 'On My Own'
- Bamboo to this young 'Voice Kids PH' contestant: 'I'm so in awe of you'
- WATCH: Darren Espanto performs 'Moves like Jagger' with contestant on 'The Voice Kids PH 2'
- WATCH: Sarah G, Jason Dy, Bamboo serenade young contestant in ‘Voice Kids PH 2’