Maine 'Yaya Dub' Mendoza on Alden Richards, newfound fame
MANILA, Philippines – Just a few months after skyrocketing to instant fame via the Eat Bulaga kalyeserye, Maine "Yaya Dub" Mendoza had her first interview with columnist and TV host Ricky Lo on CelebriTV, Saturday, October 3.
Maine is paired up with actor Alden Richards in Eat Bulaga's Kalyeserye. As the storyline goes, she is Divina Ursula Buckbukoba Smash, Lola Nidora's nanny, who accompanies her everywhere she goes. In the July 16 episode, while doing her Dubsmash skills, Alden's face was splashed on screen, and the rest is history. (READ: '#AlDub: The fun tandem of Alden Richards and 'Yaya Dub'')
Using fan signs, Maine, in character as Yaya Dub, answered questions about her sudden popularity and her true feelings for Alden.
Maine said she initially wanted to be a flight attendant but admitted her secret dream was to be in showbiz.
"Mas gusto ko pong mag-artista," she wrote. (I wanted to be an actress)
She was also asked how her life was changed after the kalyeserye became a hit.
"Malaki pong nagbago, syempre yung privacy," (A lot of things changed, especially when it comes to privacy.)
According to Maine, she does not yet feel that she is famous despite the attention she's getting. Aside from Eat Bulaga, she is doing the movie My Bebe Love with Ai-Ai delas Alas, Vic Sotto and Alden and endorsement shoots.
Real status with Alden
With the success of the AlDub tandem, many are wondering if there's something more developing between Maine and Alden. In last week's episode, Yaya Dub uttered the words "it must be love!" When asked what she felt, she admitted she was flattered and got goosebumps.
She however declined to comment what she feels about Alden when she is not in character.
Maine was also asked about what she loves about Alden aside from his dimples, and she mentioned she liked his eyes. She also said that Alden is a gentleman.
When asked if she's seeing anyone, she wrote: "Yes po, free po."
If Alden ever plans to court her, Maine wrote: "Mag paalam lang po siya sa parents ko." (He should seek permission from my parents.)
Would Alden have a chance if he ever pursued her? Maine writes: "Di po natin masasabi. Possible naman." (I can't really say but it's possible.)
On Saturday, October 3, Yaya Dub, Lola Nidora and Tinidora went to Eat Bulaga to formally introduce Yaya to everyone. (#AlDub recap: Yaya Dub sings for Alden, fans get an Aldub duet)
Two of the AlDub episodes trended worldwide, with their first date reaching 12.5 millions tweets. The visit to the mansion meanwhile recorded close to 26 million tweets, was also noticed by Twitter Asia Pacific and Middle East Vice President Rishi Jaitly , who said it was "global phenomenon." – Rappler.com
More AlDub stories:
- #AlDub recap: Yaya Dub sings for Alden, fans get an Aldub duet
- Wally Bayola on Lola Nidora, 'AlDub,' Maine Mendoza
- Twitter exec commends #AlDub: 'It's a global phenomenon’
- #AlDub recap: Alden visits Yaya Dub, AlDub takes first photo
- IN PHOTOS: PH stars, fans celebrate 'National Pabebe Wave Day'
- AlDub theme song performer Bryan White coming to Manila
- AlDub fans help #ALDubEBforLOVE pull in over 25 million tweets
- #Aldub: Yaya Dub and Alden finally go on their first date
- #AlDub: That time Yaya Dub and Alden almost met face-to-face
- Filipinos tweeted 12 million times for AlDub's romantic date
- How #AlDub is breaking the Internet
- #AlDub update: The #YaKie wedding
- #AlDub, the story so far: Alden and Yaya Dub's forbidden love
- #AlDub: Yaya Dub and Alden's 'Cinderella' moment
- #AlDub: The fun tandem of Alden Richards and 'Yaya Dub'
- #AlDub: 10 celebrity fans
- Yaya Dub actress doing well after fainting during 'Eat Bulaga'