FULL LIST: Winners, Sinag Maynila Film Festival 2016
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – The winners are in for the second edition of the Sinag Maynila Independent Film Festival.
At the Gabi ng Parangal (Awards Night) held on April 24 at the Samsung Hall, SM Aura Premier, Bonifacio Global City, independent filmmakers – as well as the stars and crew of their respective feature films – were honored for their work.
Mrs was a big winner at the festival, winning Best Film, as well as Best Director, Best Cinematography, and Best Actress (for Elizabeth Oropesa)
In first place for the short film and Samsung cinephone categories are Apuhap (Raf Evangelista) and 99% (John Paolo S. Barcena), respectively.
Helmed by festival director Brillante Mendoza and CEO/founder Wilson Tieng, the festival this year put the spotlight not only on feature-length films from directors Adolfo Alix Jr, Ato Bautista, Mes de Guzman, Jay Altarejos, and Gino M. Santos, but also short films and 3 to 5-minute films in the Samsung Cinefone category.
The films in the Samsung Cinephone category were shot using a Samsung phone.
The festival, which runs from April 21 to 26, includes the feature-length films Dyamper by Mes de Guzman, Expressway by Ato Bautista, Lila by Gino M Santos, TPO by Joselito Altarejos, and Mrs. by Adolfo Alix Jr.
Here are the winners of Sinag Maynila Independent Film Festival 2016:
The full-length films were deliberated upon by a panel of judges that includes Lav Diaz, Roger Garcia, Philip Cheah, and Kenji Ishizaka.
- Best Film: Mrs
- Best Actress: Elizabeth Oropesa, Mrs
- Best Actor: Alvin Anson, Expressway
- Best Director: Adolfo Alix Jr, Mrs
- Best Screenplay: TPO (Joselito Altarejos and Archie del Mundo)
- Best Production Design: Lila (Marielle Hizon)
- Best Cinematography: Mrs (Albert Banzon)
- Best Editing: Expressway (Benjamin Tolentino)
- Best Musical Score: Expressway (Francis de Veyra)
- Best Sound: TPO (Drew Milallos)
The short films were deliberated upon by a panel of judges that includes Mark Meily, Jose Javier Reyes, and Raymond Red
- Runner-up (tie): The Foreseeing (Daniel Morial/Jeth Ordeniza) and Ang Kapinunan Kan Mga Alon Sa Danay (Where The Lake’s Ripple Begin) (Jennifer Lyn Romano)
- First place: Apuhap (Raf Evangelista)
The Samsung Cinefone category is presided by judges Annaise Fagrante, Head of IMT Open Channel Sales, and Digs Dimagiba, Samsung Philippines Business Unit Head.
- 1st place: 99% (John Paolo S. Barcena)
- 2nd Place: Litrato ng Nakaraan (Angelika Deofilo/Danilo Garcia/Samantha Mariano)
- 3rd place: Espayb (Ebone Cimafranca/Jacquiline Hidalgo/Jessica Rubete/Juselle Roble)
SM People's Choice award: Lila
Blink Box Office Film: Lila