Jaclyn Jose: 5 fun facts about the veteran actress, loving mom and grandma
MANILA, Philippines – Veteran actress Jaclyn Jose has another feather in her cap – a best actress win at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival, Sunday, May 22 for her work in Ma' Rosa, directed by Brillante Mendoza. (IN PHOTOS: Jaclyn Jose's emotional Cannes 2016 win)
With her win at Cannes, Jaclyn joins the likes of international actresses such as Meryl Streep (1989, A Cry in the Dark), Helen Mirren (1984 Cal, 1995, The Madness of King George) Juliette Binoche, ( 2010, Certified Copy) and more as victors in the category.
The 52-year-old actress is also a loving mother to daughter Andi Eigenmann, her child with the late actor Mark Gil, and son Gwen from a previous relationship. She is also a doting grandmother to Ellie, Andi's daughter.
Here are 5 things about Jaclyn's life and career, which continues to evolve.
1. A win for the Philippines. This is the first best actress win at Cannes for the Philippines. Brillante Mendoza won the first best director honor at Cannes back in 2009 for Kinatay. Another Filipino talent Raymond Red won the Short Film Palme d'Or in 2000.
2. Jaclyn Jose is a screen name. Born Mary Jane Guck, Jaclyn is the second among 6 siblings. She has a half-sister, Veronica Jones, who was an actress in the '70s and '80s.
In her interview on GMA 7's Tunay na Buhay in 2013, Jaclyn explained the reason behind her screen name.
"Binigay iyan ng akin (It was given to me by the) producer at director na si William Pascual. Because my sister's name was too foreign-sounding – Veronica Jones. So gusto niya meron (he wanted something that has) recall. So Jaclyn Jose di ba?"
3. Earlier in her career, she appeared in sexy movies. In the interview on Tunay na Buhay, Jaclyn said that she started to work after her sister decided to settle down and start a family. In 1984, she was launched in the movie Chikas. She also did the movie White Slavery in 1985 directed by Lino Brocka, as well as Private Show, Takaw Tukso, and more.
These days, Jaclyn is known for her antagonist roles as Stella Vergara-Montecillo in The Millionaire's Wife, Señora Angelika Santibañez in MariMar, and Mundo'y Mo Akin, where she played Doña Charito Carbonel.
4. She met Mark Gil while doing the movie Itanong Mo sa Buwan. She met the late actor Mark Gil while shooting the movie Itanong Mo sa Buwan. Their relationship gave them a daughter – Andrea Nicole or Andi Eigenmann born in 1990. Their relationship according to the Tunay na Buhay report lasted two years.
5. She is a devoted grandmother and loves taking photos of her granddaughter Elle. Jaclyn is a devoted mother and grandmother. On her Instagram account, many of the photos are of her granddaughter Ellie, Andi's daughter, born in 2011.
Congratulations on your win, Jaclyn! – Rappler.com