BoybandPH: 6 things to know about the 'Pinoy Boyband Superstar' winners
MANILA, Philippines – The reality show Pinoy Boyband Superstar ended on Sunday, December 11 with 5 boys forming a group now known as BoyBandPH. (READ:'Pinoy Boyband Superstar': Winners revealed!)
Tristan Ramirez, Ford Valencia, Russell Reyes, Niel Murillo, and Joao Constancia are the new boys hitting the music scene very soon. The group previewed their act when they performed "We Made It" for the audience after they won.
But just who were the boys before they formed the band? Here are few things to know about the upcoming group.
1. Joao Constancia was raised in Macau. Joao, 19, was born in Macau to Filipino parents. In an interview published on the December issue of StarStudio Magazine, Joao said that even if he lived in Macau all his life, he was of course, Pinoy at heart.
Despite missing Macau, Joao said he was determined to pursue his dream of being in showbiz.
"Since I was young, I've liked the idea of being on camera to show my talents to the younger generation, to give them the motivation to succeed in their dreams and become who they want to be," he said.
"Nag-stop ako para magtrabaho muna at makatulong naman sa pamilya ko. Marami kasi kami sa pamilya, hindi kami mapagsaby-sabay nila mama," Niel said. He is the 4th of 8 children.
(I had to stop to work first and help my family. We are many in the family and my parents can't put everyone to school.)
Despite the struggles, Niel said that he grew up in a happy family. He also considered his dad as his influence in pursuing music because of the times he would hear him listening to Irish boyband Westlife on the radio. Aside from Westlife, One Direction is one of his favorite groups.
"Ang idol ko, Westlife at One Direction. Talagang madami akong sinasalihan na contest sa school, minsan sa lugar namin," he said.
3. Russell Reyes was asked by Aga Muhlach to sing a Filipino song in the middle of his audition. Last October during his auditions, Russell sang the song "Lately" by Stevie Wonder. But in the middle of the song, Aga Muhlach stopped him and asked if he knew any Filipino song. He then sang "Kung Ako Na Lang Sana."
Coincidentally, the song's title was also the name of Aga's movie with Sharon Cuneta in 2003.
Watch the video below and hear Russell oblige, starting at 3:09.
During the finals, Aga told the audience before the vote: "Makikusap ako sa mga lahat na bumuboto. (I'm appealing to those who are about to vote) Please vote for Russell. I personally want him for the boyband."
4. Vince Ganda initially said that Ford Valencia looked too mature for a boyband member. During his audition last September 10, Ford performed John Legend's "All of Me." Vice said that while he had the voice, he was quite mature for the part.
"Ang ganda talaga ng boses mo. (You have a beautiful voice) May lugar ka para sa (You have a palce in the ) recording industry. You can be a soloist dahil sa husay ng (because of how good your) talent mo," Vice said.
"Ang tanging issue ko lang sa sarili ko ha is yung itsura mo, medyo mature para doon sa look ng boyband na nasa utak ko."
(My only issue, this is for myself is about your look, you look very mature for the boyband that I've got in mind.)
Watch the video below starting at 4:14 for Vice's comment on Ford.
Yeng Constantino defended Ford, saying that his image can change, but talent is rare. Ford eventually became a member of the group.
5. The sweetest thing Tristan Ramirez ever did for a girl. In his fun facts published on StarStudio Magazine, Tristan said he kissed a girl on her forehead.
"Yakapin siya tapos halikan sa noo, may respect," he said. (Hug her first then kiss her on the forehead, with respect.)
6. Gearing up for showbiz life and intrigues. In an interview with reporters after the finals night, all of the boys were asked if they were ready to be criticized by the public.
Tristan said: "Okay lang po dahil itong pinasok namin, na alam po namin na parang, hindi po madali ito. Kung ano itong pinasok namin, tatanggapin po namin nang buong-buo."
(It's okay because we know what we're getting ourselves into and it won't be easy. Whatever we entered into, we will accept it wholeheartedly.)
Ford added: "Alam naman namin na may mangyayaring ganun, so kailangan natin magpakatatag. Kailangan we work as a team, kung saan tayo pumunta, saan tayo mangaling, saan tayo kikilos, kailangan alam natin sa isa't isa yung paninindigan natin as a team."
(We know that these things will happen so we really need to stay strong. We need to work as a team, so wherever we go, wherever we came from, how we will act, we know that we have to stay true to ourselves as a team.)