10 showbiz couples who make us believe in love
MANILA, Philippines – Relationships aren't always easy, especially in the world of show business where both intrigue and work can get in the way of forever. But there are couples who prove that with enough hard work and love, even the biggest of odds can be overcome.
Here are some Filipino showbiz couples who've never failed to make us swoon and pin hope on the possibility of love.
1. Richard Gomez and Lucy Torres. Their love story is a classic. Lucy had long developed a crush on Richard, among the top matinee idols during his youth. Luck was on her side years later when she was paired with him for a Lux shampoo commercial.
In 2018, Lucy shared an old photo of her that was snapped by Richard himself. Taken in 1993 in Lake Caliraya, Lucy said she only learned about the photo while fixing the house they'd eventually move into as a newly-married couple.
“He says he has kept it all along, and that I look beautiful. And if indeed I do, my love, it is only because I was looking at you,” she wrote.
Richard, who is now mayor of Ormoc City and Lucy, who is on her last term as Leyte 4th District Representative, will celebrate their 22nd wedding anniversary in April 2020. The couple has one daughter – Juliana, a college student.
2. Judy Ann Santos and Ryan Agoncillo. At first glance, you wouldn't think of Judy Ann and Ryan as a likely pairing. Judy Ann was the Philippines' teleserye queen while Ryan was an up-and-rising TV host. But when they met on the set of the show Krystala, sparks definitely flew.
The couple married on April 28, 2009, and renewed their vows in 2016. They are blessed with 3 children – Yohan, Lucho, and Luna.
Following her Best Actress awards at the recent Metro Manila Film Festival and Cairo International Film Festival for the movie Mindanao, Judy Ann is set to star in the bio flick about Regal's Mother Lily. Ryan is on the noontime show Eat Bulaga.
3. Zsa Zsa Padilla and Conrad Onglao. After the death of longtime partner Dolphy, people wondered if Zsa Zsa Padilla would date again. In 2014, it was reported that the singer had found love again in Conrad Onglao, an architect.
Their relationship became public when they were spotted watching a concert together. In 2015, the two announced their engagement. A few months after, they broke off their engagement.
In late 2016, it was confirmed that they decided to give their relationship another try. Although they have been low key, Zsa Zsa confirmed in 2019 that she was finalizing another annulment case, after finding out she was apparently married to a Japanese man, despite not knowing him at all.
Since then, Zsa Zsa and Conrad have been traveling the world and fixing a farm in Quezon.
4. Marian Rivera and Dingdong Dantes. Marian and Dingdong's love story began when they were paired up for the Filipino adaptation of the Mexican teleserye Marimar. But it was only after the show and while filming their next projects that their romance bloomed and became public.
In 2014, Marian and DIngdong confirmed that they were engaged. The couple married in a big church wedding in December of that year.
The couple are now parents to two kids – Zia and Sixto or Ziggy.
Both Marian and Dingdong have shared in interviews that they've agreed not to work at the same time to focus on their kids. Currently, Dingdong stars in the Filipino adaptation of the Koreanovela Descendants of the Sun where he plays Captain Lucas Manalo. Marian has been dividing her time between the show Tadhana, taking care of their kids, and her business Flora Vida.
5. Bianca Gonzalez and JC Intal. Bianca and JC both studied in Ateneo but only met years after.
In 2014, JC surprised Bianca with a proposal at the airport. Bianca was on her way to London then for a short course. JC said he knew he wanted to marry Bianca because he had already seen both her good and bad sides. The proposal became one of the most memorable moments of 2014.
The two are now happily married with two girls – Lucia and Carmen.
6. Toni Gonzaga and Paul Soriano. Toni and Paul's love story began in 2006 when they met at a concert of Gary Valenciano, which Paul directed. It was during the shooting of Toni's first music video that the two really got to know each other. They eventually started dating – while following rules set by Toni's parents.
The two got married on June 12, 2015. They are now blessed with a son, Seve. Paul, who established Ten17, his own production company, continues to direct films while Toni is still active in TV hosting.
7. Megan Young and Mikael Daez. Megan and Mikael had already been together for several years before they confirmed their relationship in 2017.
On January 10, 2020, the couple tied the knot in Batangas after being secretly engaged for 5 years. A second wedding was held in Subic on January 25.
8. Solenn Heussaff and Nico Bolzico. The SosBolz couple is, perhaps, best known for their funny antics on social media. From tips courtesy of the #BulliedHusbandsClub (which includes Solenn's brother Erwan) to their adventures with their pets Pochola, Negroni, and the turtles, to struggles and tender moments with their first-born, the two always keep it real.
Since getting married in France in 2016, the couple's respective careers have been successful. Solenn, on top of being an actress and host, is an established artist and businesswoman. Nico, a businessman, also plays football when he can.
The two opened 2020 by welcoming daughter Thylane.
9. Iya Villania and Drew Arellano. Iya and Drew's relationship was one of the many love stories people followed when it started on the youth show Click. Their tandem bloomed on screen and became stronger off screen.
The two now have two kids – Primo and Leon. The couple announced last January 31 that they were expecting their third baby this year.
10. Gladys Reyes and Christopher Roxas. Gladys and Christopher's love story all started when they were still on the show Mara Clara. In an interview in 2017 on Magandang Buhay, Gladys said that when Christopher was courting her, it was all out – which included treats for members of the show's staff.
After being together for many years, the couple got married in 2004 and are blessed with 4 children. Both are still active in showbiz.