Cinemalaya to seek 'dialogue' with filmmakers, producers after controversy
“We wish to publicly apologize to the filmmakers and producers of batch 2012 and 2013 for the uploading of their films on YouTube. The said films have been removed last night and we are calling for a dialogue to discuss and settle the issue. Again, our deep apologies,” Nestor Jardin said during the festival’s awards night at the Cultural Center of the Philippines. (READ: Full list: Winners, Cinemalaya Awards Night 2014)
Antonio “Tonyboy” Cojuangco said that it was about “sustainability,” saying that they were trying to come up with ways to keep the event going and attract a new market. Cojuangco has been one of the festival’s avid supporters, and is the Cinemalaya Foundation's chairman.
The audience was quiet as they were speaking, but filmmakers, producers, and stars spoke up on the issue later on.
Hannah Espia, winner of Best Director in 2013 for last year’s hit Transit, could not help but air her disappointment on the uploading of the videos, saying she was heartbroken.
"I want to express my heartbreak over the upload of our films on YouTube...To see our films on YouTube is a violation of our rights as artists and filmmakers," said Espia, calling for a dialogue between Cinemalaya and the affected parties.
“We cannot stay silent,” she added. Espia is the producer of Dagitab, which won Best Screenplay and Best Director for Giancarlo Abrahan and Best Actress in the New Breed Category for Eula Valdez. Espia accepted the awards on Abrahan's behalf.
Nora Aunor, who won Best Actress in the Director’s Showcase category for Hustisya, also spoke on the issue to reporters after the event.
“Unang-una dapat magpaalam muna sila siguro sa mga director. Lalong-lalo na sila ang mga nagpagod diyan. At syempre, yung mga producers. Kasi parang bang hindi naman sa iyo…pinalabas ninyo na walang paalam at hindi tama,” the actress said.
(They should have asked the permission of the directors. They [the directors] were the ones who worked hard, and of course the producers. Because it’s does not belong to you…you showed it without permission and that’s not right.)
Director Michael Tuviera, who won Best Director for The Janitor, said that the biggest mistake about the issue was that the filmmakers were not consulted.
“I am also involved there because I produced two or three films that were uploaded. It pains me that the mistake was done but at the end of the day, I believe it was what it was – a mistake. What we really need to do now is a dialogue,” he said.
On Saturday, August 9, directors from the 2012 and 2013 expressed their anger towards Cinemalaya, after discovering that their films were uploaded without permission on YouTube and on the website of the festival.
It was discovered that the films were uploaded via the personal account of Janssen Agbada, a member of the festival's technical staff. The YouTube account has since been deactivated.
Following the uproar, the organizers issued an apology to the directors. – Rappler.com