'Voice PH 2' champ Jason Dy on relationship with estranged dad
MANILA, Philippines – Newly crowned The Voice of the Philippines winner Jason Dy said that his estranged dad, who split from his mom, reached out to him during the competition. (Jason Dy: Journey to victory on 'The Voice PH' season 2)
In an interview on Aquino and Abunda Tonight, Monday, March 2, Jason said it was his dad who made the move. He also said that he was no longer angry with him.
"Hindi na po. I learned parang mahirap magtanim po ng galit eh (No. I learned it's hard to keep being angry),” Jason said, but admitted there was a time he was really upset with his dad.
“Kasi yung loyalty ko, yung closeness ko nasa mother ko po talaga. So parang I didn’t really agree with their separation pero na realize ko naman po na okay na mag-separate sila kaysa sa magkasama sila na miserable.” (My loyalty is with my mother, we're very close. I didn't really agree with their separation but I realize it's okay for them to separate then to be together and be miserable.)
In one particular live show, Jason said he could not express his real emotions because his mom, who was working as a nurse left already for Singapore.
"May certain live show and kasi nanood po si mommy nung first live show and masaya po. Tapos yung second live show hindi po tayo nanalo sa votes, so si mommy po bumalik na ng Singapore.” (There was a certain live show and Mommy was able to watch the first live show and I was happy. During the second live show, we didn't top the public vote, so Mommy went back to Singapore.)
"So after the show, wala po akong (I had no) family to express my emotions to that day."
Asked what he will do with the prizes, Jason said: "Actually hindi pa po nag sisink in." (It has not sink in)
In his full-camera interview last year, Jason said that his parents separated and that the marriage was annulled. It was also during that interview that he mentioned his relationship with his dad was not okay, and that they have not talked for a year. This deeply hurt Jason, who channeled the pain from this ordeal into his performances on the show.
On Sunday, March 1, Jason won the competition over Coach Apl de ap's protege Alisah Bonaobra, with 52% of the votes from the public. ('The Voice PH' final 2 contestants revealed)
Jason also beat Team Bamboo's Rence Rapanot and Team Lea's Leah Patricio to secure one of the Top 2 slots.(FULL RECAP: 'The Voice PH' Season 2 grand finals)
Among the prizes include a house and lot, a recording contract with MCA Universal, and business packages. –Rappler.com
Follow The Voice of the Philippines on Rappler:
- Jason Dy: Journey to victory on 'The Voice PH' season 2
- The best of Coach Apl's 'The Voice PH' punchlines
- IN PHOTOS: Jason Dy's emotional win, scenes from 'Voice PH' grand finals
- FULL RECAP: 'The Voice PH' Season 2 grand finals
- Jason Dy wins 'The Voice PH' season 2
- 'The Voice PH' final 2 contestants revealed
- 'The Voice PH' top 4: Their best performances of the season
- Full recap: 'The Voice PH' top 4 at the grand finals, day 1
- 'The Voice PH': Final 4 finalists revealed
- 'The Voice PH' Top 12 live shows: Who's in, who's out
- 'The Voice PH' Top 16 live shows: Who's in, who's out?
- FULL RECAP: 'The Voice PH' live shows, week 2
- FULL RECAP: 'The Voice PH' live shows, week 1
- FULL LIST: 'The Voice PH' Knockout rounds results: who's in and who's out
- FULL LIST: 'The Voice PH' Battle rounds results: Who's in, out, saved
- 10 amazing 'Voice PH' blind auditions
- Rachel Alejandro: The Nino Alejandro I know
- The making of Kai Honasan